Torie's Reviews > Guards! Guards!

Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett

1905164
Nov 22, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from November 15 to 22, 2011

My first Pratchett! I know I'm so late to this party, but I just never got around to it and was never really sure where to start. I feel a twinge of regret now that I hadn't picked up any his works when I was a teenager. I know I would have just absolutely loved these books, and I feel I'm just a tiny bit too old now--not too old to enjoy them, but too old to fall massively in love with them.

This particular book was a heap of fun. People have rightly commended his wry sense of humor, delight at wordplay, and skillful ability to make the reader feel "in" on a great many jokes. This was entertaining from beginning to end. But more than the punchlines (both cheap and otherwise), I found myself more impressed by some of his character moments. There's a great little scene (very mild spoiler) (view spoiler)

There's also a lot more nuance than I could have imagined, and some really interesting reflections on the nature of morality, rightness, and order. I wish I could give this 4.5 stars, and maybe later I'll go back and give it 5.

I suspect I'll keep reading these for a while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guards! Guards!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan I found the same surprising depth when I picked up Going Postal in 2007, after being anti-Pratchett for a long time. I've tried other Discworld books and still can't get into them, though; maybe Guards! Guards! would be a good place to try jumping in?

Torie Megan wrote: "I found the same surprising depth when I picked up Going Postal in 2007, after being anti-Pratchett for a long time. I've tried other Discworld books and still can't get into them, though; maybe Gu..."

Try it! It worked for me. I attempted some Pratchett in college and couldn't really get into it (partly, I think, a kind of snobbery towards his sense of humor that I hope I've since shed).

In any case, it looks like Going Postal is near the end of a storyline, so it doesn't seem a good place to start. Dayle warned me that by Night Watch the plot tends to be less easy to jump into.

Here's the Pratchett Series Order guide:

Try Guards! Guards! and tell me what you think?

message 3: by Megan (last edited Nov 29, 2011 05:37AM) (new)

Megan I spent years not reading Pratchett, just because in The Color of Magic and some others I picked up and now forget the titles of, I saw the jokes, but they weren't funny. Bit like reading Dickens.

I found Going Postal fairly self-contained...of course, I also found it in a hostel in Madrid, so I wasn't going to be picky...

Torie Well, they're not really funny ha-ha, they're mostly wordplay and puns. Some of it is a little silly but a lot of it is quite clever, and I particularly appreciate that the humor is never at the expense of the characters. He tends to believe in and love his characters quite deeply, even the villains, and never mocks or humiliates them.