Jordan's Reviews > Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned

Y by Brian K. Vaughan

Jun 26, 07

bookshelves: brian_k_vaughan, vertigo_comics
Read in December, 2002

I was introduced to Yorick Brown, the last man on earth, when I picked up the first issue of this brilliant series from the comic store shelves in 2002. Never have I felt such an instant identification with a character. The man was an unemployed, Ohio-born agoraphobic English major with "moderate-to-poor computer skills" who survived on ramen noodles and sprinkled his conversations with "Miller's Crossing" references. And I knew, from reading one issue, that I'd follow his adventures until the end.
In the meantime, Brian K. Vaughan has produced an incredible body of work and stands as probably the finest writer currently working in the medium. But "Y" remains his masterwork.
Like any sustained narrative, some story arcs work better than others. But each is an integral part of the whole, so it is impossible to judge them separately. The ten volumes of "Y" are most definitely 5-star reading and quite possibly the best ongoing series of the decade.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Y.

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Laipply Got some time on your hands or what? I hope you don't expect me to read all these.