Lacey Louwagie's Reviews > Cupid

Cupid by Julius Lester

Nov 29, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, retelling, romance, youngadult, youngadultfantasy
Read from November 15 to 22, 2011

I've put off writing this review because I'm having a little trouble coming up with something intelligent to say about this book that I ended up feeling pretty ambivalent about. The thing I liked best about it was the narrative voice, and the narrator's humorous (but sometimes still profound) observations about life, mythology, love, and marriage. At the same time, this style kept the story at arm's length, so that I never felt truly connected to the characters, and I didn't really like any of them (I also have trouble with characters who bemoan how difficult it is to be beautiful, as well as characters who fall in love with someone based heavily on how s/he looks). Since I'm not very familiar with the story of Cupid and Psyche, I can't really comment on how well it functions as a retelling, although I was hoping for some insight into how the story connected to our modern use of the word "psyche" (I didn't get it.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cupid.

Jenna In the original myth we learn that "psyche" means "soul," and because she and Cupid are together, love and soul are united.

Lacey Louwagie Thanks. :)

Jenna Sure. :)

It's a lovely little myth. Not much was changed for this novel - which is why I hesitate to put it on my "retelling" shelf. It's more of a telling! I don't think this story can actually be updated/modernized while preserving the key elements of the story - particularly the ones that irked you, ie. Psyche bemoaning her beauty, Cupid falling for her because of her beauty, etc. This may have worked for ancient audiences, but it sure isn't going to fly today!

message 4: by Josh (new)

Josh Mcdonald Not familiar with this book, but it might beworth mentioning, my personal favorite re-telling of the Cupid and Psyche myth is C.S. Lewis's Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold. If you haven't read it, I recommend it.

Lacey Louwagie Cool! I'll add it to my list.

Jenna I've been wanting to read that forever! I bought it several years ago, and it's one of those books that I just never get around to.

Lacey Louwagie Jenna wrote: "I've been wanting to read that forever! I bought it several years ago, and it's one of those books that I just never get around to."

I can't imagine why. What else do you have to read? ;)

Jenna Oh, nothin', just backs of cereal boxes. ;)

I got scared because I looked it up in my LibraryThing account and it wasn't there! But then I remembered I removed a bunch of books and put them on the family bookshelves. I looked and there it was. :)