Tayler Morrell's Reviews > Monster

Monster by Walter Dean Myers

Nov 15, 11

bookshelves: english-420
Read in November, 2011

This was an interesting mulit-genre type of book. It is about Steve who is 16 and has been accused of being a part in a hold-up and murder case.

The book is really interesting because for the most part, it is written as a screen-play. This would be very popular today because of all the shows such as NCIS, Law and Order, the Good Wife, Psych, etc., that all have to do with cases and courts. However, it wasn't just that the author wanted to write it as a screen play, but that in doing so, it helps develop the character of Steve. He as been given a journal in which he writes some of his thoughts. On the page it looks like handwriting. He writes what he is feeling and thinking. In one of these first entries, he mentions that he is going to write his own trial as a screenplay. Later in the book, we find out that Steve is a film student, so that helps us to understand why he sees his own life as a movie.

I also thought it interesting the pictures that are juxtaposed in the book. It makes it seem more real.

I would recommend it to any high schooler, 9-12th, however, it is pretty long (albeit in screen-play format) and that would need to go into consideration.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster.