Kristjan's Reviews > Scorecasting: The Hidden Influences Behind How Sports Are Played and Games Are Won

Scorecasting by Tobias J. Moskowitz

Dec 17, 11

Read from November 15 to December 12, 2011

I have to be honest, I thought I'd love this book. I didn't. For the most part, it was somewhat interesting, but some chapters can be filed under W for "Who cares".

And then there is (in my view) the totally wrong definition of "the hot hand" which helps the authors disprove that "myth".

And I still don't get how .299 hitters are so much more valuable than .300 hitters. On the last day of the season, yes, and better value-for-money, yes. But overall more valuable (i.e. should be paid more than .300 hitters)? I don't think so.

Should NFL teams really go for it on every 4th down play? Sure, one high school coach has had some success, but would seasoned NFL defensive players be fazed by a team like that. More likely, they would feast on it. Sure, NFL teams should probably go for it much more often on 4th-and short just on the opponents side of the field than they do, but on 4th and long near your goal line? I don't think so.

Is it really true that "a coin toss trumps all"? Even at 3:2 odds, you can hardly say that the game has been decided by "the flip of a coin". Not even "largely".

Still, the differing strike zones for 0-2 pitches vs. 3-0 pitches and the value of a blocked shot are quite interesting.

The authors promise a sequel if there's interest. Well, I probably won't bother with reading a sequel, should there be one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scorecasting.

11/15/2011 page 12