Nikki Brandyberry's Reviews > Hot Text

Hot Text by Cari Quinn

Dec 16, 11

Read from November 15 to 16, 2011

Known for being a surly, unapproachable guy, Jeff needs to lighten up. Unfortunately finding out his baby sister is sleeping with a married man doesn’t help his attitude. The guy claims to be separated but still…that equals marriage in Jeff’s mind. When he finds the guys cell phone he decides to take action. Whether or not the guys wife knowns about his affiars, he’s about to inform her of what kind of man she is married to.

Karyn knows all about her husbands illicit affairs, she is just past the point of caring. He asked for a divorce and she agreed. Their marriage is over as soon as she can get herself to actually sign the papers. When a man calls her about finding her estranged husbands cell phone she grudgingly accepts his invitation to meet to get it back. Meeting a stranger in a coffee house probably isnt the smartest move but karyn is tired of being the prim and proper one. She is yearning to let loose and be someone different.

With Jeff, Karyn gets what she wanted in the form of a hot and steamy one night stand. One night where she can let go of her inhibitions and be the woman she has caged inside. And it all started with a little hot text….

I have never been a lover of the one night stands. Sure, back in my younger days I may (or may NOT if my mother or my husband is reading this) have had my share of flings. Erotic nights of passion? Probably more like nights of drunken bliss. But yeah, you get me. The one night stand has never appealed to me in the long run. I find it highly doubtful that the person you wake up next to the next morning with a raging hangover, is meant to be “the one”. More like “OMG what the hell is that THING over there and did I sleep with it”.

In Hot Text we meet Karyn and Jeff, two dysfunctional people that crave some attention. Karyn has a horrible self esteem problem brought on by years of a loveless marriage and a cheating husband. Jeff, a moody guy that is way to involved in his sister’s love life and not paying attention to why he’s been racking up his own broken marriages. When Jeff finds Lonny’s (Karyns hubby) cell phone he thinks he will get back at the guy balling his baby sister by informing the wife of her husbands charades. When they meet though, the sparks fly and later that night he is sending her naughty texts and asking for a booty call. Which she agrees to because she is so blown away that Jeff finds her attractive. What follows is some seriously smoking hot sex scenes involving paint and wine amongst other things. The problem for me lies in the connection. I just didn’t feel any. The sex was hot. The prop usage was WOWIE. The writing was good. I just didn’t get why they were so into each other. The mystery maybe…the spontaneity perhaps. I felt superficial heat between them but nothing that would cement their involvement with each other. Then the next morning Jeff starts wanting more. While I found it a bit funny that the guy was wanting more it did give him brownie point in my eyes. What blew me away is that he said he’d give her time and he actually did. Not just a few days, a week, until her divorce was finalized. Nope, he gives her a YEAR. What? Say again? I’m saying to myself, I don’t care how great that sex was, I’m not waiting a year for anyone to get their act together. Kinda made him seem sad that he’d be able to give her a year. That he has nothing else to do but wait for her to get her life together.

While I did love the heat associated with this novella, I think, in this case, the length hurt it. It wasn’t long enough for me to get invested or to care about the characters emotions.

For the heat infused storyline I am giving Hot Text by Cari Quinn 3 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hot Text.

11/15/2011
55.0% "creative use of paint ;)"