Christey Foster's Reviews > Tortall and Other Lands: A Collection of Tales

Tortall and Other Lands by Tamora Pierce

Nov 15, 11

** spoiler alert ** Tortall and Other Lands was written undoubtedly for those of us who cannot get enough of Pierce’s writing. This book contains interesting stories, many of which add depth and solve some minor questions that are formed when reading any of Pierce’s series that were set in the land of Tortall. For example, previously, Numair, a great and powerful mage, turned an enemy into a tree, which is a dangerous feat and will have consequences, but it is left unsaid what these consequences were. In Tortall and Other Lands we find the story of “Elder Brother”, which explains that as a result of this deed, in return a tree has been turned into a man elsewhere in Tortall and must learn how to act as a human. This book of short stories proves that not only can Tamora Pierce write great young adult series, but also some inspiring short stories like this one, a piece in which one cannot help but sympathize with the tree-turned-man as he struggles to understand these new and sudden changes. In the tradition of Pierce, most of her stories, such as “Huntress” and “Student of the Ostriches,” provide strong female heroines that young girls may truly look up to, which is always lacking in young adult fiction. Tamora Pierce is a prime example of how to write truly inspiring young adult fiction and, as a writer, I hope that I can take what I have learned from Pierce and apply it to my own writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tortall and Other Lands.