Jade Paton's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

6922086
There are as many groups of people as there can be when it comes to this series. People who love Harry Potter without a single doubt in their mind about anything Rowling has to say, people who hate Harry Potter with passion, people who think Harry Potter causes evil (oh please!), people who don't care about Harry Potter and so on. Personaly, I belong to the group of people who love Harry Potter, but are aware that the books do have flaws.

But, I'm not going to talk about the whole series in this review. I'm going to talk about the first book.

This book was obviously written for children, as you can say from the simple plot, the writing style and the black and white characterization of the characters. It's a fairy-tale about wizarding world hidden inside of our world. Nice. But what is so good about it?

For starters, I like descriptive books. Not descriptive in a way Twilight is (trying how many ways you're able to say "Edward Cullen is gorgeous and perfect" is not descriptive - it's annoying). I like when the author bothers with little things that make the scene more realistic, but doesn't overdo it. Actually, when it come to the characters, it's better when it's minimalistic at the beginning and then you find out more when it's convenient.

For example, the description of Hermione: "She had a bossy sort of voice, lots of bushy brown hair, and rather large front teeth." Rowling gives us what we would see if we looked at her for the first time. When you look at the person for the first time, you usually don't remember what color their eyes were or that they had a little scar on their chin or what shape their mouth was. You see the prominent features.

The settings, on the other hand, are described with detail (especially food) which I find a bit amusing, but it doesn't bother me at all. Actually, I kind of like it.

The plot itself it very simple, especially compared with later books which use several seemingly unrelated and unimportant subplots only to connect them and show the true extent or their importance (The Prisoner of Azkaban for example). In The Sorcerer's Stone, there is only one bigger subplot with the Norwegian Ridgeback and we see almost immediately what connection it has with the whole plot.

The main plot line is very clear and straight, even though we don't really see it until about half of the book. The first part is all about Harry discovering he's a wizard, description of the wizarding world and Harry's school life. Only after all that we get to the main plot line. That's to be expected, but a lot people don't like this. They think it's too much. Personaly, it doesn't bother me. I'm not sure why. Maybe I just want to concentrate on the new, amazing world without having to worry about this evil thing that kills unicorns.

Of course, there is a few holes in the plot, but most of them don't show until we get the whole picture in the later books (mainly because most of those holes have to do with the Horcruxes).

To sum it up: I recommend this book to everyone who likes a good children story and want something for light reading. And of course to people, who want to read the later books (those are for different types of readers).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Quotes Jade Liked

J.K. Rowling
“To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”

J.K. Rowling
“You haven't got a letter on yours," George observed. "I suppose she thinks you don't forget your name. But we're not stupid-we know we're called Gred and Forge.”

J.K. Rowling
“Now, you two – this year, you behave yourselves. If I get one more owl telling me you've – you've blown up a toilet or –"
"Blown up a toilet? We've never blown up a toilet."
"Great idea though, thanks, Mum.”

J.K. Rowling
“So light a fire!" Harry choked. "Yes...of course...but there's no wood!" ...
"HAVE YOU GONE MAD!" Ron bellowed. "ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT!”

J.K. Rowling
“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”