Giselle's Reviews > Unleashed

Unleashed by Nancy Holder

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: arc, own, paranormal
Read from December 03 to 07, 2011

If I would rate Unleashed on the story itself it would have gotten more praise, but I can't do that now can I? I had my share of problems with the characters and their actions that inadvertently caused me to get a bit of a mixed feeling about the book as a whole.

It all starts with Katelyn. Katelyn's mom has just died and, with her dad not in the picture, she is forced to move to Wolf Springs: A middle of nowhere town with no cell phone service or internet connection (can you believe?). She soon learns that there is something in the woods that has been killing people. Classmates to be exact. What does she do with this information? She goes on a bike ride in the woods at night with a guy she just met, and then when she gets a flat miles in a deserted road, she doesn't think twice about going out and changing the tire herself. We've all seen our shares of horror movies, Katelyn- she would definitely be the girl who runs up the stairs. As a reader who likes her characters intelligent and strong, I was never able to connect with her and often found myself shaking my head at the decisions she took.

The romance in the book is cute and helps fill up the slow pace, however I didn't feel any sort of chemistry between the characters. We have the pre-requisite love triangle with Justin and Trick, though I didn't want to root for either of them. For one, Justin has a girlfriend (o_O) and Trick I don't trust. There seems to be something off with him. He definitely has secrets. In that sense, he does make a good mysterious character that I can't help but want to find out more about.

When you read the book/series title, it's no mystery what kind of paranormal story we're getting into. Nonetheless, there are still a few interesting twists that I didn't see coming. Unleashed is more of an introduction and setup for the series. We only get a glimpse of the main plot and most of our questions are left unanswered which some may find underwhelming. Regardless of the issues I have with the characters, I find myself curious enough to give next installment a try, especially after that cliffhanger ending!

For more of my reviews, visit my blog at Xpresso Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unleashed.

12/04/2011 page 40
12/06/2011 page 225
59.0% "Not too sure about this one. You get bit in the leg by a "creature" that causes "unimaginable pain" and proceed to 1)drive home 2)take a shower and 3)pace around the house All night?" 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal How are you liking this one? I have it, but I am not sure about it.

Giselle I'm only at like page 40. It's good so far. Not too much happened yet though.

message 3: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal Thanks! I will keep my eye out for your review =)

Giselle I have to put this on hold for 1-2 days so I can review Hushed in time for release.

message 5: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal I just finished that one. I am still in shock over it lol. I can't wait to read your thoughts on it.

message 6: by thuy (new) - added it

thuy sorry you weren't a fan. thanks for the review though.

Giselle Sure! You can't like everything, right? Maybe you'll enjoy it more :)

Chris I really enjoyed this book=) I really hope Kat ends up with Trick!! Not liking Justin so much... and wondering what Tricks secret is... looking forward to the next book =)

Giselle Chris wrote: "I really enjoyed this book=) I really hope Kat ends up with Trick!! Not liking Justin so much... and wondering what Tricks secret is... looking forward to the next book =)"

Glad you liked it! I didn't like Justin much either the guy has a gf! So I'm definitely hoping she pick Trick out of the 2.

Reshy "Narrator: Poor George was really shot, but can't die because, let's face it, he's the hero. "

"It just occurred to me that mixing medicine and alcohol is a really stupid and possibly lethal thing to do. If I were a real person instead of a lovably inept cartoon character with the potential for a few more sequels... I wouldn't even consider it. Skoal!"

"Those kids in horror movies are so easy to kill, you could strangle them with a cordless phone y'know what I'm sayin? I mean, you see how they just run right into danger, these idiots, they run right into death. They're look'n for death."

Basically sums up the position on the main character being stupid.

message 11: by Em (new) - rated it 3 stars

Em lol. I felt the same way about Katelyn's character... Great review :)