Sarah's Reviews > 2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America

2030 by Albert Brooks

Nov 18, 11

Read from November 15 to 17, 2011

I like speculative fiction, it's probably my favorite genre, but one issue that sometimes arises in the speculative fiction genre is that some random individual has some really great ideas they want to throw out there, some really interesting thoughts about an alternate reality, but because no one will pay for a rambling blog post of what they thing the future will look like, they decide to wrap their ideas in a novel to see if people might buy that instead. What results from that is a pretty crappy novel. Completely flat, uninteresting characters, contrived, awkward plot points (if they even bother with a plot at all), and an ending that just drops off after the ideas have been presented, regardless of whether the story is done being told or not.

This novel is guilty of all those things, yet I still found it to be a more or less compelling read because I'm really interested in people's ideas about the future, couched in a bad novel or not. None of the characters or their dilemmas were even remotely compelling, but still I kept reading because I wanted to see where the author was going with his vision for future. In the end, I don't regret reading it, but I'm unlikely to seek out more by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2030.