Robyn Briggs's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Dec 04, 11

bookshelves: own, recommended, series, wtf, books-that-confuse-me, i-liked-it-but, my-fantasy-worlds
Recommended for: Paranormal romance lovers, YA Fiction readers
Read from November 21 to 25, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

So, it has taken me awhile to get to this review. 10 days to be exact. The reason being, I was super excited to read this book and by the end I felt kinda let down. So, I decided to be fair, and I gave it awhile to sink in, that way, I wouldn't be judging it by my first reaction. And now, I am glad I did. (wait that is) Now, you all may be thinking, "But Robyn, you only gave it 3 stars", and this is true, i did, and I do not revoke my decision to do so. I am a harsh critic, a book has to be pretty f***ing amazing to get a good review from me. And I don't do that because I think a book is bad, more so for the few exquisitely, wondrous books out there that have set themselves far above the norm in the literary world so that they may be acknowledged as such, and not demeaned by the fact that Twilight got the same rating as they did. That being said, I adored Daughter of Smoke and Bone It was beautifully written and the imagery was lovely. Set in Prague, the story was both modern and classic. A love story of fantastical creatures in a world where Angels and Demons are locked in eternal war. Hope springs anew in the story of a young girl trying to figure out who (or what) she is, and where she belongs in the great scheme of things. Laini Taylor weaves a stunning tale, and truly I have little to complain about. My biggest beef with the story was it's sporadic nature. It seemed to jump around so much I often lost my place, as if it had been written by a teenager with severe ADHD who had perhaps drank too much coffee that morning. I found it distracting the way she organized the flashbacks and different points of view in the story, and there wasn't much indication of who was speaking at any given time. Another glitch was Karou, the main character, whom, I wish devoutly she had developed more. She was such a lovely character, so much potential. I only hope there will be a sequel in which we shall learn more about this wondrous girl in all her blue-haired glory. With the ending Ms. Talyor did give us, there certainly should be.Overall I rate this book among my favorites, though it is def. not top of the list and really only makes the list at all because of the creative beauty i see so present in Karou and the story line between her and Akiva. (you will learn about him later if you read the book, I'm not one to spoil books for people) I do recommend this book for all the romantic, angsty, parnormal, romance-lovers out there, because I'll tell you right now this book has all that and more. There's so much drama in this book it should be a reality tv show. Hey, i'd watch it.
In conclusion, read the book, it's not the best, but it's good. Don't buy it if you aren't sure. Borrow it, Rent it, Check it out, Read it in the bookstore if you must, Just get it done. If you're impressed, buy a copy, who knows, maybe it's going to come to a show-stopping conclusion in the next book, you just never know. =)
Likeflag

Quotes Robyn Liked

Laini Taylor
“Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.”

Laini Taylor
“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.”

Laini Taylor
“Happiness. It was the place where passion, with all its dazzle and drumbeat, met something softer: homecoming and safety and pure sunbeam comfort. It was all those things, intertwined with the heat and the thrill, and it was as bright within her as a swallowed star.”

Laini Taylor
“She moved like a poem and smiled like a sphinx.”

Laini Taylor
“Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love.

It did not end well.”

Laini Taylor
“It's not like there's a law against flying."

"Yes there is. The law of gravity.”

Laini Taylor
“Once upon a time, an angel lay dying in the mist.

And a devil knelt over him and smiled.”

Laini Taylor
“Your soul sings to mine. My soul is yours, and it always will be, in any world. No matter what happens. I need you to remember that I love you.”

11/21/2011 page 50