Giselle's Reviews > Titan Magic

Titan Magic by Jodi Lamm

Nov 17, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, mythology
Read from November 15 to 16, 2011

Titans, monsters and gods aren't part of my usual reads, but when I read this synopsis about a mute girl with hallucinations and lots of secrets, my uncertainty turned to intrigued and I found it to be an entertaining story.

The mysteries start immediately in Titan Magic. We meet Maddy (Madeleine), mute and hearing voices. Actually only one voice - a voice whose command she can't seem to refuse. Which is why her mother and brother tie her to the bed so she's not able to do as he wishes and go find him -however badly she wants to. I was curious right away about Maddy's strange predicament; why is she mute? Who's talking to her and why is he calling on her? Before long, her brother throws her out of the house and she runs into the forest where she starts to learn who she really is. So the mysteries are plentiful, but they aren't all drawn out. We get some answers right at the beginning, more towards the middle, and it ends with everything disclosed.

The world in Titan Magic holds quite a few characters. Maddy, the protagonist, goes on a big journey of self-discovery and what she finds changes her whole life - her whole self-image - and not for the better. She soon learns to deal with this and makes the best of what is given to her, which I really admired. I did enjoy her story, although I did have difficulty relating to her. A lot of her findings were strange to me as I had not stumbled upon the myths before. (It's based on a certain folklore that I had only heard about in passing.) I can't say it wasn't interesting, just very hard to grasp, therefore slightly hindering my enjoyment of the story. Along with Maddy, there are a lot of personalities that we stumble upon. All of them play an important role in the story and each one have their own unique charm that really brings them to life; Marcus with his inner demons, Will and his honest-to-goodness heart. The characters are easily the best part of the novel.

Jodi Lamm's Titan Magic gives us a fun filled fantasy that I'd recommend to those who like their books filled with magic, romance and discovery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Titan Magic.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Fantasy is one of those genres I either love or hate. There's really not an in between for me. This sounds really interesting, but I'm going to take your 3 stars into account and the fact that that MC was hard to relate to and gamble that it might not be for me. Great review Giselle. :)

Giselle I often have a hard time with Fantasies too. I'm harder to impress with it I find.