Wan 's Reviews > Queen's Own Fool

Queen's Own Fool by Jane Yolen

Dec 19, 2011

bookshelves: historical, young-adult
Read from December 17 to 19, 2011

This book was a pleasant surprise. What a fun way to learn History about Mary, Queen of Scott, and 16th Century Scotland. -- I have to find the quick way to finish my challenges. If not, I wouldn’t have even considered reading it.

I loved Nicola and her innocent way of viewing the world. Tho, ill-fated and become orphan at young age, she still had positive views of the world. I enjoyed her (or rather the author’s) wits and humors. I was laughing with her at times, especially with the Troupe Bruford. – Her honesty impressed the young Queen, who bought her from her uncle. She became the Queen’s Own Fool. Since then, her eventful journey began. She had been in court by the Queen’s side thru Scotland’s roughest time and survived it. Tho, the Queen didn’t.

This is one of the books that I recommend to young readers out there. Tho, the book certainly is not a replacement to history book, but it certainly is a complimentary novel that would help young readers to learn and understand the mundane side of it. The way of the courts worked and commoners lived. Thru the eyes of a little girl named Nicola.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen's Own Fool.