Austin's Reviews > Timeline

Timeline by Michael Crichton

U 50x66
Nov 15, 11

Michael Crichton’s Timeline is an exciting novel in its own right, but is also a work that can lend a lot of insight to any aspiring writer. The story revolves around new technology that makes time travel a possibility, and the corporation responsible for this breakthrough. A team of historians is sent back to 14th century France, with its feudal system fully in place, to rescue the project’s leader after a mishap leaves him stranded in time.
This book is exhilarating, and the action surrounding the medieval adventures is fast-paced and keeps the reader totally engaged. However, an element that seems to truly shine through in this piece is the author’s dedication to research in regards to the setting. The complex historical background, as well as the daunting quantum physics used to explain the concept of time travel, are all based on real life facts. Crichton manages to suspend the disbelief of the reader by including relevant facts and a carefully accurate reconstruction of a centuries-old world. While Timeline is still a fiction piece, it manages to stand out with content that could easily be grouped alongside medieval fantasy stories. My own writing is often missing the element of a strongly researched background, and I often fear inconsistencies or inaccurate information will be included as a result. Crichton’s attention to detail creates a totally immersive world between the pages as well as a strong bond of trust with the reader, and I hope to emulate some of these aspects in my future writing pursuits.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timeline.