clAViD's Reviews > Let the Nations Be Glad!: The Supremacy of God in Missions

Let the Nations Be Glad! by John Piper

Feb 07, 2012

So uh, basically... I think almost every Christian should try to read this book. I've written about this book on my blog so I'll just copy and paste a section from it:

I'll do an overview/sample of each chapter and begin each overview by stating a type of audience that will specially benefit from that chapter. There will be no doubt that you will fall into at least one of these categories or know of others that do and hopefully that will pique your interest and cause you to go out and read this book =)

---

I will skip Chapter 1 and 6 because I've mentioned it in my previous post.

Chapter 2: For those who strugge to pray or who struggle to pray with earnestness, gravity, and desperation. This chapter is another reason I give this book a 5 out of 5. In it, Piper talks about the "Supremacy of God in Missions Through Prayer." The biblical truth of life as war that Piper brings to light in this chapter has changed my life - which includes my "prayer life" if we can separate it like that. I've posted quotes from that chapter and so you guys have had a taste.

Chapter 3: For those who struggle with materialism, complacency, and desire to fulfill the comfortable "American Dream" life. In this chapter Piper about the "Supremacy of God in Missions Through Suffering."

Chapter 4: For those who have ever had the question: "do people who live in an unreached island and never hear about Jesus go to hell?" This chapter gets a little dense as Piper defends the historical view of the eternality of hell (as opposed to annihalationism - a view John Stott holds), the necessity of Christ's atonement for salvation, and the necessity for people to hear of Christ in order to be saved. He defends those three views to defend that the supremacy of Christ means that He is the only way to salvation and along the way you see the implications it has for the Christian church and for the missionary task

*Chapter 5: For those who do not have a GLOBAL passion for God (i.e. for those who don't really care too much about missions). For those who have asked: "Why should we have a passion for frontier missions? Why can't we just have a passion for evangelism in general? Why can't we just save up money to reach out to the the neighborhood I'm in? Why are we saving money for frontier missions? Aren't we just trying to save as many people as possible?" Piper distinguishes missions from evangelism, or Paul-type ministries from Timothy-type ministries! He does a study of the phrase "all nations" from the Great Comission and traces the use of the words in the phrase from the Hebrew and Greek in the OT and NT. This chapter was CRUCIAL in my understanding of missions. He says: "the fact that there is a distinct calling on the church to do frontier missionary work among all the remaining unreached people groups is crystal clear from the New Testament" (195). He closes by discussing how diversity magnifies the glory of God - this was really cool.

Chapter 7: For those who are Christian. Hahaha got you. Piper does a sort of biblical & historical theology of "worship" in order to find the essence of worship, again going into the Greek and Hebrew. Here's one pithy quote of his definition on what worship is and then a short expansion of it: "Worship is seeing, savoring, and showing the glory of all that God is for us in Jesus Christ" - "Worship is right affections in the heart toward God, rooted in right thoughts in the head about God, becoming visible in right actions of the body reflecting God" (207). Again this was one of those life-changing chapters and another reason I give this book a 5/5. Here I post a quote from Piper where he goes against a common Christian saying many of us have heard about church and Sunday services. The saying is: "The problem is that our people don't come on Sunday morning to give; they only come to get. If they came to give, we would have life." And Piper's response: "That is probably not a good diagnosis. People ought to come to get" (227). The application/implication part of this chapter is so relevant.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let the Nations Be Glad!.

message 1: by Megan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:53AM) (new)

Megan oooh missions.
i think i shall consider reading this one.