Krysten's Reviews > The Waste Lands

The Waste Lands by Stephen King

Dec 07, 11

Read from November 15 to December 07, 2011

I liked this book better than the first two in the Dark Tower series, though I'm not sure why.

It did not have a promising start, for me. I got really hung up on the dimensions of the cyborg bear, Shardik. 70 feet tall? Reeeeeally? Not even, like, 20, which would still be enormous for a bear? King really did not do a good job of conveying the utter size of the thing, and when he said its eyes were nearly the size of baseballs I wondered if there was a typo on the book. Baseball-sized eyes seem way too small for a bear 70 feet in height.

I didn't pick apart too much else in the book, though. As always I'm a little annoyed at King's handling of racial stuff and his magical bag of dei ex machina. But overall I enjoyed the scope of this book and was particularly interested in the resurfacing of Jake. I felt that that storyline was really well done. It broke up a little toward the end, with Blaine the Mono, whose dialogue is written in all caps, which was really difficult for me to sit through. The ending was very abrupt, which I'm sure would have enraged me if I'd read this series one by one as each book was published.

Oh. Man. But. For a book called The Waste Lands, there was precious little about the, uh, waste lands. I guess I'm a little disappointed about that. But I must carry on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Waste Lands.