Jeffrey's Reviews > Changes

Changes by Mercedes Lackey

Nov 20, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, read-in-2011
Recommended for: lackey fan's who have read other books in this series
Read from November 15 to 20, 2011

A continuation of Lackey's Valdemer series. This latest book is the third book in her series about three trainees in the Collegium, Mags, who is clearly being trained to become a spy or the King's Own, Bear, a gifted non magical healer, who has to fight bigotry on the part of his family -- who think healing is for only the magically gifted, and Lena, a shy bardic trainee, who has to suffer at the hands of her obnoxious bullying self indulgent father.

Really however, it feels to me that the Bear story and the Lena story are just there as filler. The main story and the only one worth reading is the Mags story as he is a non traditional trainee but (as many of Lackey's character's) a powerful magical mindspeaker.

The nub of this tale is that certain agents of another land are trying to kidnap Mags because they know something about his unknown past and/or Amily, the King's Own daughter, so they can blackmail him into doing things their way. At the same time, Lackey uses Bear and Lena to illustrate how Valdemer has to change to adapt to new influences.

The back and forth espionage battle between Mags and Nikolas on one side and Stone and Ice (the enemy agents) is not a bad story but its all so predictable, and the ending just augers another volume in this tale.

As an aside, I have read many of these books and there is a use of a strange stone in the bowels of the Collegium, which vaguely, ever so vaguely I think was in another novel. It makes me think that the past of this land is like the past books in my mind -- vague whisperings.

I am invested in this Mags story, but luckily I have been able to take the books out of the library, as I cannot recommend paying money for these novels.

But if you have read the first two books, you probably should read this one -- just know that what little is resolved will be primarily with respect to minor characters.

the main story resolution -- well that's still in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changes.

11/15/2011 page 1