Soumi's Reviews > Incarnate

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Jan 19, 12

bookshelves: books-i-reviewed, young-adult, arc-e-galley, reincarnation
Read from December 19, 2011 to January 01, 2012

There's always the option of deciding for yourself who you are and what you'll become.
Do you believe in Reincarnation? I do. This is the first reason why I chose this book. Of course the cover is Epic, most beautiful cover I have ever seen. The complete theme of reincarnation of souls was innovative and refreshing. This book is definitely a page turner.

A Vague Indication

The story was set in a dystopian world where souls reincarnate million times, each time in a new body. The body may change but the soul doesn’t. The night Ciana died the soul temple went dark. After few years Li gave birth to a daughter, Ana. Everyone thought Ciana has returned, but this soul was different, never been born before, a Newsoul. Ana replaced Ciana. Being a new soul Ana’s life had been tougher than any one, her own mother was ashamed of her, hated her, and called her a Nosoul. Incarnate is the quest of Ana to find the answers behind her birth.

The Love Birds

As for the characters, I am confused with Ana, I really am. Sometime she was brave as hell, strong as a steal, and sometime she acted dumb, fragile like a delicate butterfly, if you try to tight your grip on its wings, it will be broken. When she’s with Sam, she got all the courage to fight out anything, when she came face to face with Li, she became just like a small little kitten trying to hide itself from the paw of big cat. I can understand her situation. Living in isolation outside the range for 18 years of her life, she had been lonely, unlovable and friendless. When she escaped Li’s and set foot on Heart, where everyone has previous lives and lot of memories, she felt unconnected, detached to the society and surroundings. That’s why I wanted her to be braver, which she wasn't enough for a main protagonist. In the beginning she was not much enjoyable, I found her sorrowful, whimpering and complaining over and over about her life, but I liked how her character unfolds slowly with the progress of the story.
I'd give anything to make things right for you.”He caressed my cheek, my hair, my back. Everywhere he touched, the angry fires cooled. I wished he'd touch my heart. "But I can't. I can help, but the hard work is all up to you, If you don't feel real, no one else can do it for you. I promise, though you've always felt real to me.
Sam was a sweetheart, just my type of guy. Determine, modest, intriguing and passionate would be the perfect adjectives for Sam. He’s a sweet and gentle guy with a very kind soul. He did every possible thing to keep Ana safe and sound, didn’t care how much it would cost him to help Ana. He always stood by Ana in any situation which was very brave of him. Sometime I found him complicated, hard to understand what’s going on inside him, but that doesn’t matter much.
The writing was lyrical, each word was chosen very carefully and beautifully by the author. The writing style is very neat example of well organized literature.
The book was supposed to be based on Ana’s quest, instead the book was more focused on romance and the story derailed and lost its track in middle. At least 60% of this book consist description the time period Ana spend with Sam, learning music, those almost but “never happening” kisses and awkwardness between them.

The author must have added all these romantic tension just to enhance the romance, but truly speaking it did nothing other than slowing down the book. What could have done in 50 pages, the author took 150 pages to write down the same thing, what a waste of 100 pages. If it were only a romantic book I would have praise all that romantic moments, but as the book is dystopian, based on complete different subject, I felt the romantic drama was too much for this story.

Why I'm Rating it Four Stars

Other than that Incarnate was flawless. In the end all the answers to Ana’s question was solved in very satisfying way. We were given only one climax in the end and which was terrifying. The last few chapters of this book were breathtaking that you will be compelled to read and bite you nails off. I liked the idea of dragon attack and sylphs, a good mixture of modern technologies with mythological creatures and old belief of reincarnation. I liked Incarnate but I can’t say I’m in love with it. This book is pure 3.5 plus an extra 0.5 just only for the cover which is incredible.
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incarnate.

12/20/2011 "okk, show time"
12/24/2011 "I think it will take another two week, this book is slow and i don't have much reading time because of coming exams" 3 comments
12/26/2011 page 108
28.0% "Finally at this point i do like this book."
12/28/2011 page 165
43.0% "i like Sam"
12/30/2011 page 225
59.0% "Dramatically nice"
12/30/2011 page 250
65.0% "I love masquerade"
show 8 hidden updates…

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ I've been wanting to read this. Look forward to finding out what you think if it.

Soumi i just started it, i will let you know :) what are you reading?

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Still reading Brisingr. It's really long.

Soumi This book is good, but not gr8 as i expected it to be

message 5: by Jody (new) - added it

Jody I really want to read this too

Soumi it's good but idk y m not liking it much :(

message 7: by Manoj (new)

Manoj Kewalramani Dear Soumi,

Hope you are well. I wanted to congratulate you on winning the giveaway for my book, Fairy Tales: Love, Hate and Hubris. I have all the details to send you a copy of the book. However, if you could offer me a contact number that would make the courier process easier at our end.

Hope you enjoy the read and I look forward to your feedback.

Wish you a very happy holiday season.
Warm Regards,
Manoj Kewalramani
(PS: My apologies for doing this here. But your settings do not permit an email on goodreads.)

Soumi Ohhhh, thanks a lot :) i'm messaging you my mail id :) thanks for choosing me in the giveaway :)

message 9: by Sudipa (new)

Sudipa Bera This cover is epic

Joan{missing the vampire bunny slippers!} do you have this in ebook?:)

Kat T. Oooh, I've always wanted to read this. Is it any good?:D

Soumi Ummm. yeah good one but slow, what could have done in 50 pages, the author took 150 page to write that

Rachel's Book Reviews yeah, that's true, but I thought the originality was worth it in the end. :) until the last 50 pages or so, I didn't think I'd give it a good review :)

Soumi I wrote a good review only because of the last 30%, the theme of reincarnation and the cover. :)
ohh i did like Sam :)

message 15: by Sudipa (new)

Sudipa Bera Honestly is it worth reading???? i was thinking about giving it a chance

message 16: by Shayantani (new)

Shayantani Das Unfulfilled sexual tension huh? Those give me a headache.

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ So curious to read this now. I was already, but your review is a mixed of a lot of good and bad and I am curious to see if I will agree.

Soumi Sudipa wrote: "Honestly is it worth reading???? i was thinking about giving it a chance"

Yes, it's worth reading darling, a little slow but you will like it

Soumi Tanu wrote: "Unfulfilled sexual tension huh? Those give me a headache.
Why did the author have to add that to a dystopian novel? Oh, and the cover is gorgeous!"

Not sexual but romantic tension i must say, yes that part was good but too much for this book :/

Soumi Rebecca wrote: "So curious to read this now. I was already, but your review is a mixed of a lot of good and bad and I am curious to see if I will agree."
Read it soon, you may like it, i had a mixed feeling for this book.

message 21: by Pragya (new) - added it

Pragya Alright, I will contemplate whether to read it or not. There are so many recent books others have adored and I have hated. :)

Soumi You can read it, it's good but slow in starting, ended with bang.

message 23: by Pragya (new) - added it

Pragya I will give it a try.

message 24: by Srinivas (new)

Srinivas concept is good..but if it is full of romance...i am not going to read it...i prefer to read romance with full of tensions and thrills...

Soumi Not full of romance, only romantic tensions, and confused feelings for 60%. other 40% is great.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Great reveiw Soumi!

Soumi Thank :D

message 28: by Jody (new) - added it

Jody It really is a gorgeous cover! Great review. Another Sam...I like alot :)

message 29: by Soumi (last edited Jan 01, 2012 11:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soumi Jody wrote: "It really is a gorgeous cover! Great review. Another Sam...I like alot :)"
All Sams are hotttt but not as Patch :)

message 30: by Priyak (new)

Priyak Ghosh what i found the book is not so much worth to give a try and you mentioned its story based on romance which was supposed to be on the different thing.may be its kinda trailer of the next book.may be author's gonna describe the main thing on the next book.

message 31: by Arunangshu (new)

Arunangshu Pal Hmm. So, this book is basically a love story, blended with some supernatural elements.

Soumi Well, love it is, and with some old unsolved myths

message 33: by Sudipa (new)

Sudipa Bera BTW your picture of romantic tension was damn good, "should i hold his hand or not, what will other think? what will he think?" ha ha

Joan{missing the vampire bunny slippers!} It sounds great! I 'll give it a shot when I have an opening! :D

Soumi Oh, sure you should give it a try :)

Soumi Oh, sure you should give it a try :)

Soumi It's a good book, hope you will like it too. :)

Soumi I actually had mixed feelings for this book but it's enjoyable :)

Joan{missing the vampire bunny slippers!} :) Thanx for the warning! ;)

Soumi lolzzz, but you may like it more than i did :)

Joan{missing the vampire bunny slippers!} I GUESS WE'LL SEE! :)

message 44: by Lola (new)

Lola Okay, you definitely convinced me :)