Theresa's Reviews > The Story of a Marriage

The Story of a Marriage by Andrew Sean Greer

1202014
Jun 14, 08

** spoiler alert ** Not exactly what I expected. While the story had many twists and turns to maintain interest and keep the pages turning, at its heart, I could not understand the main character's blind acceptance of the situation she has been put in. That was very frustrating to me. I would have rated the book higher if I had found it more believable. The book was written by a man. Perhaps he does not understand that what he is asking of Pearlie is in opposition to female nature. Maybe even human nature? I just didn't get it.

Her motivation, as written, did not ring true to me. She did not do the most obvious thing anyone in her shoes would have naturally done. And the omission of that practically screamed from the pages. Or maybe that was just me screaming from the idiocy of it; I don't know. I'd be interested in other's opinions of this book. Does her mindless defeatism make sense to anyone? Am I being too harsh/critical?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of a Marriage.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Margaret I totally agree with you - why the heck didn't she just talk with her husband? It made no practical sense to me. My conclusion is that this was simply a literary device b/c, otherwise, it would have been a completely different book / plot. I also think that the author was trying to relate the action and the characters to the 1950's - note all the references to current events - viewing it as a more formal time when many / most persons of color simply didn't speak up for themselves in order to stay safe. Possibly...? But still, why wouldn't a woman discuss this with her husband, also a person of color? I agree with you - I just found that plain odd.