Amanda's Reviews > The Scarlet Letter

Nov 10, 2012

liked it
Recommended to Amanda by: Professor Radetich
Read in October, 2011

Although this is one of the classics of American Literature, I feel that this novel was not what I expected. Everyone had always said how great this novel is and so on, but I found it to be redundant with obvious allusions, foreshadowing, and symbolism. This was originally a short story, but upon pressure from his publisher, Hawthorne made it into a novel and it seems that it would have been better if it was left as it was. I felt that he went on and on about the same thing until it became blatantly obvious what he was trying to convey, completely boring me to no end with the best part being when I was done with the novel.

However, for high school students who are just becoming acquainted with such literature that demands you to think further into the words an author pens, this novel is perfect. There will be some things that you will probably overlook, but it will get you thinking into the meaning of the novel and learning to piece together the above mentioned allusions, foreshadowed events, and symbolism to understand the message Hawthorne was aiming for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scarlet Letter.