Megan Mann's Reviews > Recovery Road

Recovery Road by Blake Nelson

Nov 16, 11

bookshelves: eng-412
Read from November 15 to 16, 2011

"You don't see those moments coming, you don't know it when they're happening, but later, as the plainness of life begins to show itself, you realize how important they were. You understand who really changed you, who made you what you are."

Madeline is sixteen years old. She's also a drug-addicted, alcoholic filled to the brim with anger that has resulted in her stint at the Spring Meadow rehab facility. Despite making it to the halfway house portion of her recovery, she still feels angry and annoyed. Even having a friend in Trish, an 18-year-old with similar dependencies, doesn't make things easier. When Trish leaves, Maddie feels alone. That is, until 19-year-old Stewart checks into treatment. They attended movie night twice before making plans to bend the rules and hangout. Before they even make it back to the center on the night of their hangout, they realize their attraction, but Maddie is meant to leave in two weeks. When that day comes, they figure out a way to make things work.

But Maddie's life is different now. She's back in the high school that she hated without any friends. How long will it last until she gives in? Will she give in and relapse? As hard as she tries to fix things, tragedy strikes. Blow after blow hits Maddie hard. It takes all of this to help her realize just how much has gone wrong and figure out how to fix it.

I actually really loved this book. The chapters are maybe five pages at the longest and you just couldn't stop. I randomly picked it up because, well, there are pills on the cover and that usually makes for good reading. I'm sorry, but it does. It took about two sittings to rip through. You really understood just how hard it is for someone in that sort of position. They are always dealing with the temptation and influence of others. It has to be hard to deal with. You wanted things to go right with her. You wanted to see her succeed. You wanted her love life to be right. I felt like this girl's biggest cheerleader. It was entertaining and sad, interesting and thought provoking.

It was a story about losing and finding yourself. It was a very bizarre and twisted coming of age story. Cancel out the drugs and the rehab and what have you and you're left with a story about a girl just trying to figure out her life. This is definitely something I would pass around (however, I borrowed this and do not have a copy of my own).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Recovery Road.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Ok, now I really have to read this one - thanks for the great review!