Rachel's Reviews > Doctor Margaret's Sea Chest

Doctor Margaret's Sea Chest by Waheed Rabbani

Jul 05, 12

bookshelves: general-fiction
Read from November 14 to December 01, 2011

EDIT: This author has repeatedly harassed, belittled, and criticized me for the contents of my review in email, despite my insistence that this is my opinion. Be warned.

The synopsis on the back of the book confused me before I began reading, as it seemed to tell me the plot for the entire trilogy, instead of just this first book. I also struggled with staying interested in the book, as every page is saturated with foreign words and expressions that I needed to look up in the Glossary at the end of the book if I wanted to understand anything. It was quickly apparent that the history of India also played a major role in the plot of this book, as the author spends large chunks of time teaching the reader about India through the thoughts and conversations of the characters.
I felt like the plot really dragged its heels in progressing, and I often got lost in the details, unsure of what I was supposed to be focusing on the most.
In short, I simply could not progress with the book. I stalled on page 72, and I never picked it back up. Maybe I was not in the right frame of mind to read it, maybe it was too intimidating, I don't know, but if I feel like I am forcing myself to read the book when I struggle to stay focused after only a page, then the book is not for me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctor Margaret's Sea Chest.

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori I just got a message from a GR's friend that said this author did the same thing to her with the nasty emails, etc. I will not be reading any of these books because of it. Thanx for the warning.

Rachel Lori wrote: "I just got a message from a GR's friend that said this author did the same thing to her with the nasty emails, etc. I will not be reading any of these books because of it. Thanx for the warning."

Interesting. Can't say I'm surprised, I just wish authors who did this would understand how getting reviews actually works.