mlady_rebecca's Reviews > Pride

Pride by Rachel Vincent

Well, my half a book lead is now a full book lead. I'm writing this after finishing book 4, but I'll try to avoid spoilers for that book.

This is definitely a series you need to read in order. The very blurb for this book involves spoilers for book 2, so if you're behind, time to avert your eyes. *g*

Faythe is on trial for first infecting her college boyfriend by accident, then killing him later in self defense. Although, in this case, the trial isn't a simple game of looking at the facts, it's a master tournament in politics.

Faythe's father is the head of the council, the leader of the largest Pride in the US, and now he has a spare tabby running around, and other people want a piece of the pie.

In the meantime, there are a lot of young strays on the loose, causing trouble. And in the midst of their mayhem, they find a young tabby with no obvious Pride connection.

I think I've figured out the reason these books were being recommended for fans of Laurell K. Hamilton. It's the politics. The Council politics here reminds me a bit of the way the Masters of the City negotiate in the Anita Blake books. Not the association I was expecting, I must say.

Although, the books also seem to share the quality that devouring one book makes you run for the next book. I'm actually disappointed to know I only have two more books in this series, at least in current publication. I haven't sought out info on whether this series is open ended or closed ended.

Editing to add: Alpha, the sixth and final Shifters book will be out October 1, 2010. *pout* Stupid closed ended series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride.

Quotes mlady_rebecca Liked

Rachel Vincent
“I wanted a do over. A time machine. That magic wand. But real life didn't have any easy outs, and very few happily-ever-afters. The real world was more like a Choose Your Own Adventure book, with most of the choices ripped out before you even opened the cover.”
Rachel Vincent, Pride

Rachel Vincent
“Wake up, Sleeping Beauty," Jace said softly from my right.

"Call me that again, and I'll tell the whole Pride you sleep in Scooby-Doo underwear."

"I don't sleep in Scooby-Doo underwear. Hell, I don't sleep in any underwear.”
Rachel Vincent, Pride