mlady_rebecca's Reviews > Pride

Pride by Rachel Vincent

Well, my half a book lead is now a full book lead. I'm writing this after finishing book 4, but I'll try to avoid spoilers for that book.

This is definitely a series you need to read in order. The very blurb for this book involves spoilers for book 2, so if you're behind, time to avert your eyes. *g*

Faythe is on trial for first infecting her college boyfriend by accident, then killing him later in self defense. Although, in this case, the trial isn't a simple game of looking at the facts, it's a master tournament in politics.

Faythe's father is the head of the council, the leader of the largest Pride in the US, and now he has a spare tabby running around, and other people want a piece of the pie.

In the meantime, there are a lot of young strays on the loose, causing trouble. And in the midst of their mayhem, they find a young tabby with no obvious Pride connection.

I think I've figured out the reason these books were being recommended for fans of Laurell K. Hamilton. It's the politics. The Council politics here reminds me a bit of the way the Masters of the City negotiate in the Anita Blake books. Not the association I was expecting, I must say.

Although, the books also seem to share the quality that devouring one book makes you run for the next book. I'm actually disappointed to know I only have two more books in this series, at least in current publication. I haven't sought out info on whether this series is open ended or closed ended.

Editing to add: Alpha, the sixth and final Shifters book will be out October 1, 2010. *pout* Stupid closed ended series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride.

Quotes mlady_rebecca Liked

Rachel Vincent
“Wake up, Sleeping Beauty," Jace said softly from my right.

"Call me that again, and I'll tell the whole Pride you sleep in Scooby-Doo underwear."

"I don't sleep in Scooby-Doo underwear. Hell, I don't sleep in any underwear.”
Rachel Vincent, Pride
tags: humor

Rachel Vincent
“I wanted a do over. A time machine. That magic wand. But real life didn't have any easy outs, and very few happily-ever-afters. The real world was more like a Choose Your Own Adventure book, with most of the choices ripped out before you even opened the cover.”
Rachel Vincent, Pride