Emily's Reviews > The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Jan 06, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi-fantasy, ya-sci-fi-fantasy, middle-grade
Read on January 05, 2012

They say it takes a village to raise a child, but what if your adoptive parents are ghosts? According to Neil Gaiman, then it takes a graveyard.

The Graveyard Book begins with a rather ghastly murder where a baby boy is the sole survivor of his family. His unbridled curiosity saved him that night, leading him to wander out of his house and into the safety of the graveyard's gates. Young Nobody Owens grows up in this wonderland of tombstones and ghostly friends that tell him tales from their own eras spanning hundreds of years in the past. Drawing inspiration from Kipling's The Jungle Book , Gaiman uses his perfect concoction of some whimsical spookiness to tell a story about what it actually means to live in this world.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graveyard Book.

Quotes Emily Liked

Neil Gaiman
“You're alive, Bod. That means you have infinite potential. You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you can change the world, the world will change. Potential. Once you're dead, it's gone. Over. You've made what you've made, dreamed your dream, written your name. You may be buried here, you may even walk. But that potential is finished.”

Neil Gaiman
“It's like the people who believe they'll be happy if they go and live somewhere else, but who learn it doesn't work that way. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you. If you see what I mean.”

Neil Gaiman
“Bod said, 'I want to see life. I want to hold it in my hands. I want to leave a footprint on the sand of a desert island. I want to play football with people. I want,' he said, and then he paused and he thought. 'I want everything.”

message 1: by Katherine (new) - added it

Katherine I started reading this but got distracted and ended up abandoning it after the first chapter...as good as sandman?

Emily Totally different. It's more of an all-ages book and is heavy on the whimsy, which could float my boat even if I was a submarine pilot SO there is some definite bias there. If you like The Jungle Book and ghosts, I'd say give it another try!