GoldGato's Reviews > The Sea House: A Novel

The Sea House by Esther Freud

Jan 27, 12

bookshelves: fiction, winter
Read from December 19, 2011 to January 27, 2012

Some books just immediately envelop the reader in the story, and it's a full race to finish the story. Other books stop you at the gate. This book...well, my gate was locked and when it finally opened, BAM, the story took off so quickly I was practically inhaling the pages.

Whether this is what Esther Freud intended, I'm not sure, but I was not looking forward to the first half of the book. I dragged myself through it, noting the various characters and their surroundings and the world of art and architecture. Then the second half of the book was completely different, I couldn't wait to get through the pages.

Freud is the great-granddaughter of Sigmund and the daughter of Lucian, so that explains the psychology and the art. The story takes place in "Steerborough", which is really an invented name for the real village of Walberswick in Suffolk, England. Anyone who's been to that part of the isle knows how the sea is always battling the shore, and by the time I realized that raging water was the real star of the book, I was finished.

Although I really became involved in the book at the midpoint, I still only give it three stars as I just couldn't accept the sudden resolution to everyone's lives. That, perhaps, is more a defect of me as a reader than of the author, so I suggest my review not put off those willing to make it down the stretch.

Book Season = Winter (when the sea is angry)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea House.

12/29/2011 page 22