Judi's Reviews > Forged in Fire

Forged in Fire by Trish McCallan

Nov 19, 11

bookshelves: 2011, amazon, e-book, gym-read, military, navy-seals-rom-suspense, nov, purchased
Read from November 16 to 18, 2011

4.5 stars!

I think Forged in Fire would make a great kick-ass, action-suspense-military movie featuring today’s top action stars a la Paul Walker, Vin Diesel and Jason Statham.

I’ve had this book on my Kindle app for a while and I’m so glad I finally decided to start reading it. A sure sign a book is a hit with me is when I want to keep reading even if it is well past my bedtime. When I should have been getting some well needed shut-eye I was gnashing my teeth at a critical point during a hostage rescue attempt and I just could not stop reading. The alarm clock rang way too early the next morning.

Forged in Fire had me hooked from the start. Did I mention hot, alpha SEALs? There's a lot of heart-pounding action in this book and it takes place over a short period of time (think about how a season of the TV show 24 happens over 1 day).

If you read this expecting lots of romance then you are going to be disappointed. Zane and Beth have an immediate, instant attraction when they first connect at the airport. Yes, there are moments of strong sexual awareness and tension between them (Zane understands why but Beth has no clue how her life is about to be changed), but due to the timeframe this story takes place over realistically Zane and Beth don’t really have a chance to get “too close” except for a dalliance in a hospital supply closet.

A lot is made of Zane and his “special ability”. His “gift” is the reason he immediately recognizes Beth as his mate and the reason he believes her story after she explains what she dreamed is about to happen to Zane and his team-mates on the plane they are about to board enroute to Hawaii - it wasn’t a good dream. We really didn’t get a lot more information about Zane and his family’s “abilities” but maybe that’s to be explained and expanded on in future books since there are several siblings in the Winter family.

There were moments while I was reading Forged in Fire that I was holding my breath, gasped at some of the action and felt my heart racing in my chest. I loved the camaraderie and banter between Zane, Rawls, Cosky and their commanding officer Mac. These hot SEALs definitely held my attention and I hope they all get their own stories. I love when an author makes me care enough about the secondary characters that I want to read more about them. I don’t think we’ve seen the last of Beth’s best friend Ginny or Amy Chastain either. I even want to know what happens to them after their ordeal...especially Amy.

The ending was kind of abrupt and there were lots of issues left unresolved. A fair number of authors are leaving us readers with the cliff-hanger endings lately and I assume that’s to keep us wanting more and eagerly anticipating the next book in the series. Some people may not like that plot device - but it works and I’m hooked.

I will certainly be reading the next book in this series Forges in Ice. I understand it’s Cosky’s story and considering his situation at the end of Forges in Fire - I for one can’t wait to see what happens.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forged in Fire.

50.0% "really enjoying the action in this book."

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Judi, this book is a promising start to a new series, even though I had a few issues.

Judi Ohh good - I may start it tonight at the gym. I need a really good book to keep my mind occupied while I'm working out.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter I'm reading a fantastic book right now... Damaged GoodsDamaged Goods

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Great review, Judi! I absolutely want to read Mac's story! :))

Judi Thanks Baba! I think's Mac's story will be great. I forsee a certain redhead as his heroine. Can't wait to see what the author cooks up for them.