Holly Renee's Reviews > Save the Date

Save the Date by Jenny B. Jones

Jan 29, 12

Read in January, 2012

When funding for Lucy's non-profit job is pulled, she is determined to find out why. Enter Alex Sinclair, former professional football star and heir to Sinclair Enterprises—the primary donor to Lucy's non-profit organization.
Both Lucy and Alex have something the other desperately wants.
Alex has it all . . . except for the votes he needs to win his bid for Congress. Despite their mutual dislike, Alex makes Lucy a proposition: pose as his fiancée in return for the money she desperately needs. Bound to a man who isn't quite what he seems, Lucy finds her heart—and her future—on the line.

I absolutely loved Save the Date! It just became my favorite book of all time.

Filled with an intriguing plot, gripping characters, witty dialogue and bantering, heart-felt struggles, and lessons learned the hard way, Save the Date is a must read!

This is the first book I've ever read by Jenny B. Jones, but she's already proved herself, with this book alone, to be an outstanding writer.

For one, this isn't your normal chick-lit. The female protagonist isn't what you'd expect to find in this type of genre.

Now, the entire premise is built on two characters maintaining a charade before the public. In other words, it is deceit. For some, this might make them feel like it shouldn't be in a Christian novel. I think, however, that this where Jenny B. Jones makes her characters come to life. They are flawed. They are messing up. They are doing something wrong. In all honesty, if I closed my Bible every time someone inside those pages messed up, I wouldn't have much of the Bible left to read. The main character does feel guilt for what she is doing, she knows it's wrong, but there is something deeper going on inside of her. When we don't trust God in something, it often leads to bigger sins--which is what is happening in this story.

Some people have complained about a certain character that appears gay. In all honesty, I don't believe this is the case. He may be a former gay who is recovering from that lifestyle, but I don't believe the author gives any indication that he is actively gay. In fact, we see several references where this character has just become a Christian. We have to remember that growing in Christ and transforming to His image takes some time. As believers, we are told to be patient with those who are newer in their faith and instruct them. I believe that this character represents someone is growing in their faith, on their way to that transformation.

If these things might bother you, then I don't recommend that you read this book. If they won't bother you, well. . .then, you have to read Save the Date! It is so incredible and fabulous!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Save the Date.