Kevyn's Reviews > When I Was Puerto Rican

Nov 14, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: senior-year-books
Read in September, 2011

When I Was Puerto Rican is about a young Puerto Rican Girl named Esmeralda. She is born in Puerto Rico and early in her life she learns her family's Puerto Rican traditions. But then "out of the blue" her family brings her to New York City where she is emmersed in a completely new culture and new language. Although this book is about being hispanic, i don't relate to it. I've only been to Puerto Rico once and the younger people in my family are assimilated into the culture of New York. In a way, the culture has been diluted. Spanish eventually changes into Spanglish, then just English. But the older people in my family could definately relate to this book because they were in the same circumstance as Esmeralda. In this book Esmeralda comes to New York City, assimilates herself suprisingly quick then gets accepted to the High School of Performing Arts and goes on to Harvard! I think the fact that this is based of a true story is amazing. Lots of people come to America that dont speak English, don't bother to learn and are satified with a low paying job. Esmeralda chooses the harder way which proves to be the better way in the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When I Was Puerto Rican.