Laura's Reviews > Dead Reckoning

Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris

Nov 14, 11

Compared to previous books in the series, this one lacked the detail and characterization that typically draws me in. I’m not sure if Harris has run out of motivation to write the series, or if the HBO show has tainted it, but this book has lost the appeal that ones previously in the series had. The characters weren’t the ones we were first introduced to in the beginning books—change, or the ability to change, is what brings characters to life, but not turning into a completely different character; this change is most evident in the character of Eric, as he now lacks the arrogant sarcasm in his tone and dialogue that he was known for in the beginning of the series. This series, in particular this book, has taught me as a writer that to keep readers involved, the characters need to remain the same at the core—this doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t be capable of change, but they should stay true to who they are. This book doesn’t inspire me as a writer, but it does teach me what not to do.
It is a shame that this book was such a disappointment when I hold Charlaine Harris to such a high standard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Reckoning.