Mimi Valentine's Reviews > A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

I never thought a picture book would make it onto my favourites list... but I was proved wrong a million times over by this story!

A Monster Calls is brilliant to say the least. As much as I claim to be an avid reader, I don't think a book has ever affected me as much as this one did. It stole my heart, broke it, and mended it all in the span of 215 beautiful pages. It's one of those books that change you deep inside and make you realize things that make you see things that make you... cry.

My heart breaks for Conor. His mother is dying and he's being picked on at school. But he's probably the strongest, most brilliantly honest character ever. I cried for him just as much as I cried for everyone else who has to go through what he does.

“Stories don't always have happy endings."

This stopped him. Because they didn't, did they? That's one thing the monster had definitely taught him.

This book deals with cancer in its truest form. I couldn't help but be amazed at how perfectly, flawlessly, and beautifully Patrick Ness handled everything. From the way everyone treated Conor differently even though he just wished they'd stop with the pity, to the way it's impossible to know how to feel when someone you love it dying... It was truly genius.

I cried SO MUCH when I read this book for the first time; I still cry whenever I read it again. And I'll re-read this when my dad dies and I'm sure I'll be bawling after that as well. A Monster Calls may be about cancer, but it's also about love, and loss, and grief, and pain. It's about nightmares trying to tell you something other than to be afraid.

With a heartwrenchingly true storyline, darkly beautiful illustrations, and prose that tops even the best of writers, A Monster Calls is honestly perfection in its purest form. It's one of the most touching and heartbreaking books I've ever read, and I'd recommend it to absolutely everyone — especially if you know someone with cancer like I do. ♥

BUY or BORROW?: Please, please, PLEASE skip the borrow and go straight for the buy with this book! And don't buy the e-book because then you don't get to see all the beautiful illustrations. The gorgeous hardback is the only way to go!

-Mimi

(Original review at Mimi Valentine's YA Review Blog)

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Monster Calls.

Quotes Mimi Liked

Patrick Ness
“You do not write your life with words...You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.”

Patrick Ness
“There is not always a good guy. Nor is there always a bad one. Most people are somewhere in between.”

Patrick Ness
“I wish I had a hundred years, she said, very quietly. A hundred years I could give to you.”

message 1: by Kaylee (new) - added it

Kaylee Magic It's making you CRY and it's WORTH IT?? Oh Mimi, I have to read this book!

BTW: You're such a fast reader! Didn't you just get this one today? (x

Mimi Valentine Please read this, Kay! Oh my gosh, it's definitely worth every tear because it's such a darn amazing book! <3

And LOL this book isn't really that long so it was easy to finish in one sitting -- although that doesn't lessen how amazing the writing is AT ALL. I promise it will blow you away too! :')

Wendy Darling Ohh Mimi! Big hug to you.

Mimi Valentine *hugs back* Thanks so much, Wendy! :') <3 now I really, truly know what you meant when you said you loved this book -- it was so heartbreakingly beautiful!

Sarah (saz101) Mimi! I seriously just ordered this yesterday! Can't wait to get my hands on it, and I can't WAIT for your review! ♥

Mimi Valentine Sarah!! <3 This book just BLEW MY MIND. It's lyrical and sweet and completely heartbreaking, and I can't WAIT until you get your hands on your copy so you can hopefully love it too! :)

Sarah (saz101) Oh, now I'm, like, TRIPLY excited. I was never quite sure what the buzz was over, but it's turned up on a few people's blogs who I really love (yourself included), and I was like "THAT'S IT! MUST HAVE! NOW!"

Err... after your comment? It will be the first thing I read as soon as I get my hands on it :D

Mimi Valentine SAME!! This didn't seem like a book I'd like to read either, but stalking some blogs around the blogosphere convinced me that this book needed to be read! :) and I'm SOSOSO happy that good peer pressure is working on you too! <3 ;)

Sarah (saz101) YES! Me toooo! I'm so excited to get my hands on it. FOR REALS. I can't believe I've held it in my hands before, in a book store, and overlooked it :S

Jennifer Mimi, I'm so glad you read this and LOVED it as much as I did. Sarah, you will love it, too. I had to immediately read it again when I finished it before my heart could move on to something else.

message 11: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Valentine @Sarah: You held it in your hands and didn't get swept away by the GORGEOUS illustrations? x) I'm going out to buy my own copy soon too because of those! They're the sort of hauntingly beautiful that just stick with you!! <3

@Jennifer: Yay!! *high fives* I love it when we love the same books! :') And it's so nice to have you on my "Sarah, you must read this, YOU MUST" team! x)

Wendy Darling ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I always love your reviews, but this one is extra, extra special. :)

message 13: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Valentine Hehe thanks so much, Wen :') Really -- THANK YOU, because I never would've picked this book up without your convincing! <3

message 14: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara (sarabara081) I love his Chaos Walking series so I am happy to hear how great this one was too! I'll have to pick up a copy soon. :)

message 15: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel "especially if you know someone with cancer like I do. ♥"

*big hug*

My mom had cancer when I was just a little girl, but I still now that it had a huge impact on me. From all the reviews I read so far, this is my favorite one from you, Mimi. It kind of.. touched me in a different way, because this book really seemed to touch you :) I've added it to my GR list right away and I'll take a look it as soon as I can. Thanks for sharing it, wonderful Mimi!

message 16: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Valentine @Sara: I still really need to read the Chaos Walking series! I keep hearing so much about them and am going to get a copy as soon as I can! I've heard there's an awesome talking dog involved ;)

@Mel: *BIG HUG BACK* Oh, Mel! I'm so sorry about your mom -- it really does give you a different perspective on things, doesn't it? Every time I read a book about cancer, I want to cry, but this is definitely one of the best I've ever picked up. I seriously canNOT recommend this to you enough, Mel, and I hope it sticks with you as much as it did with me :) <3

message 17: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel Indeed, it gives another perspective! I still feel blessed with the fact that the cancer is away and she has been clean for years now :) I know what you mean: certain subjects just make me want to cry instantly.

message 18: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Valentine I'm so happy your mom is better! That's so amazing -- I'm sure that it's made her stronger emotionally too just like for you <3 And if you cry easily like I do, I promise you'll be bawling your eyes out when you read this book LOL :')

message 19: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit This is such a beautiful and achy review Mimi, I recently went through a phase of reading heartbreaking reads, I think when I'm in the mood for some more I will definitely pick this one up, beautiful review Mimi! :)

message 20: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Valentine If you're in the mood to either have your heart broken or touched -- most likely both! -- then this is the PERFECT book for you, J! I honestly don't think I'll ever get tired of re-reading this book and having my heart squeeze each time <3 :')

message 21: by Sonia (last edited Jul 18, 2012 09:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sonia I hesitated to buy this book everytime I saw it in the bookstore. But now, I'd like to buy it immediately! Wonderful review, Mimi! :-)

message 22: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Mimi, just wondering (view spoiler) Beautiful review and thanks for the tip about buying the actual book instead of E-book. :)

Laura Beautiful review, Mimi! Patrick Ness is one of my favorites. The man…well let’s just say I always have tissues on hand now. I was a mess after reading this one!

Love this!--“It's one of those books that change you deep inside and make you realize things that make you see things that make you... cry.”—well said! :)

message 24: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Valentine @Sonia: I hesitated too because I didn't think this would be my kind of book at first... but then I was convinced by all the epic reviews on GR and I'm so glad I was! :')

@Rachel: Definitely a book you want the physical copy of! The texture and the pictures and everything is just too beautiful to pass up ;) <3 (view spoiler)

@Laura: Aww, thanks so much, Laura! <3 I've actually NEVER read another Patrick Ness book before but I recently checked out The Life of Never Letting Go after loving this so much and I'm really excited to give it a shot! I've heard that everything he's written has been amazing, and I don't doubt it! :)

Sonia I have bought a copy! :-)

Laura Sonia wrote: "I have bought a copy! :-)"

Hi Sonia! *waves* Nice! Can’t wait to stalk for updates. You will need tissues!

Mimi—The Chaos Walking series is amazing! I have the third book coming up in my to read pile, but I don’t want it to end. :(

message 27: by Eunice (new) - added it

Eunice Oh Mimi! I love your review! Even though this sounds like a really emotional book I'm so going to read this! Soon, I promise! I'll have to ready a bunch of tissue papers though. :)

Incitanemxx i agree with everything you said! i was surprised that this is a children's / YA book. it had some very serious and deep themes, didn't it?
i've only ever read 2 books that made me sob like a baby. 'a monster calls' and 'extremely loud and incredibly close'. idk if you read that one but i'd recommemd it if you liked this read ;)