Andy's Reviews > The Little Prince & Letter to a Hostage

The Little Prince & Letter to a Hostage by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Nov 14, 11

bookshelves: 2011, illustrated
Read from November 11 to 13, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I picked this up after finding myself in Queenstown with two hours to kill and nothing to read. I had never heard of it before but the children's book in the Penguin Modern Classic format intrigued me.

The resulting fable for children, plays as a warning to the adult to retain that wonder of the world that keeps us grounded, reminding us of the real magic and importance of life. The adult world is mocked and ridiculed, wrapped up with figures, pomposity, ceremony and self absorption, as we meet the Little Prince and uncover his journey around the galaxy, encountering strange people living their own strange lives. All while trapped in the desert.

It's an odd and affecting story, rather melancholy in tone and infused with loneliness and a sense of isolation from the world and people around. There's a magical underbelly, some wonderfully clear prose (translated from the French) and self mocking illustrations to set the scene.

The tale is complemented by 'Letter to a Hostage', penned to his intellectual friend during the second world war. It's an evocative read, sad yet hopeful.

Overall, a lovely and well presented little book. Worth having tucked away on your shelves somewhere for the future.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Prince & Letter to a Hostage.