David Natiuk's Reviews > Consumed by Success: Reaching the Top and Finding God Wasn't There...

Consumed by Success by Athena Dean

Nov 14, 2011

bookshelves: business, christian, marketing, non-fiction, philosophy
Recommended for: Christians involved with MLM, or network marketing
Read from November 12 to 13, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Here you have a bold declaration against network marketing for Christians, by somebody who has been to the top, been successful, done all the "right things" and now regrets a great deal of the methods and actions she undertook in spite of her achievements. It's not only her personal story, but a warning about the mindset and the pitfalls that drive the MLM industry, and why it is decidedly non-compatible with a Christian's walk with God.

Interesting that I have a signed copy from Athena I believe from an MLM convention that I was attending over a decade ago (It's been so long, I'm not entirely sure.) The bottom line is I'm glad I finally read this book, and wish to congratulate Athena for speaking out against something that was her lifeblood, her financial well-being, and a large source of accomplishment in this world. God be praised that He was able impress upon her heart the need for change, and she has now used her talents in trying to prevent the same errors in others.

I myself voluntarily gave up the MLM industry a few years ago for many of the same reasons Athena did. I had tried for years to build a business the "moral" way (no manipulation, no fixation on earthly wealth, no coercing friends or family to join, etc.) Finally I realized that even if I could do things with pride and honor, the industry requires you to recruit others in order to achieve anything substantial. And once you bring somebody in, it is nearly impossible to shield them from the evils that abound and are taught as "gospel" within its ranks.

I could write my own book on the many pitfalls of the MLM industry, but Athena has a great focus with her book. Some of the key messages are that chasing the false dreams of this world do not bring happiness. It is through prayer, listening for God's leading, and then doing His Will that we will be fulfilled. Not our way, His way.

For those of you out there who are still struggling to build a Network Marketing business, please read this book. You might have the most noble goals, great personal integrity, a servant's heart... but read this if for nothing other than avoiding severe pitfalls.

And MOSTLY... all you network marketers out there, stay away from business at Church!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Consumed by Success.