Brenda's Reviews > The Iron Knight

The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

Nov 15, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Read from November 14 to 15, 2011

Before I say anything, can I just say how absolutely gorgeous this book is? I mean, on the outside. The cover is beautiful, the pages are all uneven on the side (which just looks cool). I truly love it. And now let's move on to the inside, because we all know you can't judge a book by it's cover (although I do it all the time).

This fourth book in the series was a bit slow to start. Maybe even a lot slow. And remembering that I didn't particularly love The Iron Queen, I have to say I wasn't especially excited to get to The Iron Knight. Especially, and most importantly, because I've never really warmed up to Ash. This book is dedicated to "Team Ash", and I'm most definitely not Team Ash.

Does that mean I hated the book? Not really. Once it picked up, it was quite an adventure. It seems that the characters are hit with one thing after another, which is really not surprising since this is supposed to be a big quest for Ash to gain a soul. And almost all I could think about was Spike going in search of a soul in Buffy. This is not new stuff, for sure.

There were definitely some "huh?" moments throughout the book, but when I try not to think too hard about those, I can enjoy this for the fast-paced (at least the second half) adventure story that it is. And Ash is very much flawed in the story, which is a nice change from the perfect, flawless boys in a lot of YA. I think I even grew to like Ash as a character a little more, even though I still would have preferred Meghan ending up with Puck. Oh well.

If you read and liked the previous three books in this series, it's a pretty sure thing that you'll like this one. This is definitely not the place to start, though, so pick up The Iron King, The Iron Daughter, and The Iron Queen first.

Grade: B-
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Knight.