Savannah Golden's Reviews > Inferno

Inferno by Dante Alighieri

F 50x66
Nov 14, 11

Dante's Inferno offers the most detailed description of Hell as his tour guide Virgil takes him through the nine circles of hell. Dante the pilgrim has lost sight of his faith and his faith in God. He enters the gates of Hell, even after reading “Through me you go into a city of weeping; through me you go into eternal pain; through me you go amongst the lost people.” He finds him self with Virgil seeing the various sinners in their levels of Hell carry out their punishments for eternity. At first, Dante has sympathy for the sinners and wonders why God could be so cruel. As his journey through Hell continues, Dante gains an understanding that God gives them a punishment that is balanced with the sin they committed. Dante gains his faith back in God and gets put back on the right Christian path. While reading “The Inferno,” I feel almost as if I am reading lyrics to a song. There is such a melody to his words that it offers another level of beauty to Dante’s work. He inspires me to take the time, while writing, to chose words that are audibly and visually appealing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inferno.