Morgan's Reviews > Dream Chaser

Dream Chaser by Angie Stanton

Nov 18, 2011

bookshelves: 4-stars
Read in November, 2011

Angie Stanton is an asset to young adult literature. She is an extremely talented author who has a knack for writing entertaining and engaging novels. I have read two novels by her so far, Rock and a Hard Place and Dream Chaser, and I loved both of them. Angie Stanton’s novels flow so well. Her writing style is fluid, entertaining and mesmerizing. At this point, I think she could write a book about purple ants, and I would enjoy it. (Please don’t. I am just saying.)

Dream Chaser was another riveting young adult romance by Angie Stanton. Willow, the main character, is a tenacious character who excels at everything she puts her mind to. Her problem is that she isn’t good at sticking with things; she runs when she is scared. In her youth she was one of the best, if not the best, competitive dancers in the state. Her freshman year, she quit dance and became the best cheerleader and flyer (those are the people that get tossed in the air) on her squad. But after a really bad fall, she turns her back on the cheerleading squad and her fear of falling. Not only 24 hours later, she auditions and lands the lead for a big musical production, and the male lead is played by Eli, the reason she ran away from dance all those years ago. Passion, love and humor fill the pages of this novel.

Yes, this story focuses on a girl who is interested in dance and cheerleading. However, that isn’t the necessarily what this story is about. In my opinion, this novel is about finding your passion in life, the cost of running away when you’re scared, and ultimately, sticking around and facing the music when things get tough.

The characters in this novel are -WOW- amazing. You won't be able to stop yourself from falling in love with Willow, Eli, Tyson, and Willow’s wacky family (basically every character in the novel). Her parents and younger sister, Breezy, put a smile on my face. You could see how much they loved one another. I must admit, I was a little envious of Willow’s relationship with her parents. They have such an easy camaraderie. They openly love, laugh, and rely on one another. Her parents are also very lenient with her and have a lot of trust in her.

The relationship between Eli and Willow was really, really sweet and also very realistic. Surprisingly, they had a few steamy moments, too. It wasn’t anything too crazy, but it was still unexpected.

I was a competitive dancer until my freshman year of high school. I practiced three or four days a week and had competitions almost every other weekend. My freshman year, I was forced to choose between dance and cheerleading; I picked cheerleading. My junior year we were the Grand National Champs at a major competition. Sound familiar? Fortunately, there aren’t any really bad falls in my past.

Unfortunately, there isn’t an Eli in my story! Regardless, I could really relate to Willow because we share some of the same passions. My connection with dance and cheerleading only increased my love for this novel. I think anyone could read and enjoy this novel, whether you are a dancer, a cheerleader, a basketball player, or don't play any sports at all.

I gave Dream Chaser by Angie Stanton 4 STARS. This young adult romance novel will sweep you off your feet. It’s a charming novel that’s quick and easy to read. I strongly recommend this novel to young adults.

-XOXO

READING, EATING AND DREAMING

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dream Chaser.