Luann's Reviews > The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps

Nov 14, 11

bookshelves: 2011, biography, childrens, nonfiction, picture-books
Recommended to Luann by: JLG
Read on November 14, 2011

I enjoyed reading this, but there were a few things that bothered me. First, I didn't really like the title. I understand why it was chosen, and it is referenced within the story. But it feels too vague and a little creepy to me - even though I know it isn't meant that way at all. The subtitle does help, but that isn't always included when referencing a book.

My second problem was that it felt like Jane grew up way too quickly. And there weren't enough details in the text or the pictures to clue me in to when she was grown up. On the sixth page of text, it says "When Jane's school days were over, she worked and saved to buy a ticket to Kenya." In the illustration, she still looks really young - not all that much older than the five-year-old Jane from the page before. So I was confused when she was suddenly on a ship and then stepping off of it onto African soil. The author's note at the end cleared it up for me - she was 26 when she first went to Africa, but she sure didn't look 26 in the illustration.

Anyhow, those are two small complaints for an overall very nice picture book biography of Jane Goodall. There were a LOT of details left out that I would have found very interesting, but this is a nice biography for children and would work well as a jumping-off point to a study of Jane Goodall and other scientists who study animals.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Watcher.