Danelle's Reviews > Beautiful Chaos

Beautiful Chaos by Kami Garcia

Nov 18, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy-supernatural-paranormal
Read from November 14 to 17, 2011

Book 3 of the Caster Chronicles begins shortly after Lena's seventeenth moon. Lena, unable to choose dark or light, claimed herself and now the town of Gaitlin, really the entire mortal and caster worlds, is paying the price. What's being called the "end of days" has everyone in Gaitlin, SC a little off. Lakes are drying up, there's oppressive heat, floods of insects, tornadoes and even earthquakes. All the while, Ethan is dreaming of rivers of blood and a fierce struggle and losing his taste for chocolate milk and Amma's cooking. The casters (Lena, Macon, etc.) and the mortals (Ethan, Marianne, Olivia, etc.) work together to try to solve the riddle of the eighteenth moon. Because if they don't it won't just be the end of days, but the beginning of something really horrible.

It's good writing; the southern aspects of this story just seep through the pages. It's a fun YA read, not as much angst in this series as in others. I'm impressed with how the characters have developed and grown as the series continued. My favorite thing about this series is the Sisters (Ethan's aunts). Their banter makes my day. ("You know that vegtablism is one step closer ta a world without panties an' preachers. That there is a documentated fact.")

But... 500+ pages? Do you really need that many pages of, "Well this is scary and completely out of the ordinary and probably means something huge, but I can't tell anyone else because they've got enough worries as it is." (Isn't that the line of thinking that got them nowhere in Books 1 & 2?) And Link. He became an incubus (one-quarter) in the last book; he comes through for his friends time and again; but still, so little of the book goes into his change.

My biggest complaint is that nothing really happens in the book until 400 pages into it. And then, just when the characters are FINALLY figuring out the mystery and taking action, it ends.

A cliffhanger! Irritating!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Chaos.

11/15/2011 page 133
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Susie (new)

Susie downloaded this but haven't read it. The only problem with this series is I often have a hard time catching up on the characters and remembering the subplots after being away for awhile.

Danelle Yes. I was a good hundred pages in before I remembered what exactly went down in the previous book. I'm still experiencing some vagueness re: the whole arclight thing and Ethan's being a Wayward. You'd think for such massive volumes you'd know this stuff inside and out, but the plots of these books don't stick with me too long.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie Must have been just ok????

Danelle I just posted my review. It's good, but it just took to long to get around to anything happening. And then it ended, with a cliffhanger. So there'll be a book 4.

Danelle And completely off subject - I pre-ordered Spellmans 5 a couple of days ago. Estimated to be at my door in early March. Woo!

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie Ok....well on that note....I'm ordering mine as well. Immediately. Worth having in "book form."