Paola's Reviews > Lovers and Other Strangers

Lovers and Other Strangers by Josh Lanyon

Nov 27, 2011

Read from November 21 to 23, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

This story read almost like an Impressionist painting to me: vivid and sensuous descriptions of nature and the human landscape in this remote corner of Maine taking an eerie and hazy quality, infusing the writing style with an atmospheric beauty, a poetic and almost magical feel that’s perfectly fitting to the main character’s journey into his own past and his quest into the mystery of his twin brother’s disappearance. A mystery which is introduced relatively late into the story but is no less important to solve: in fact, the mere detachment shown by some of the island residents from Finn’s genuine worry that his brother may have met an untimely death seems to strengthen his resolve to find the truth and get justice despite everything.
I loved the slower, more 'sedate' pace of the tale. It fitted with the overall sense of isolation and loneliness provided by the island setting. And the fact that the mystery was also built slowly, but still at a reasonable pace considering it naturally takes a little while for Finn to start worrying about his brother’s fate.
And I loved the fact that Josh kept me guessing as to who the murderer was. (view spoiler)
I found myself very much invested in Finn’s quest and at the same time drawn by his fascinating and unique way of evoking the landscape and his mood as if he were about to paint them on canvas, made even more poignant and moving by the perception in the reader that the physical and psychological trauma following his car accident months before may have impaired his sense of sight and possibly made him even more sensitive and perceptive about his surroundings. This in turn provides a unique insight into his psyche and into the way he perceives the other characters and tries to make sense of what goes on around him.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lovers and Other Strangers.