Limonessa's Reviews > Grimspace

Grimspace by Ann Aguirre

Dec 09, 2011

bookshelves: adult-fiction, ebook, fantasy, with-smut
Read from November 30 to December 04, 2011

Sirantha Jax is one cool name. (view spoiler)

She's a jumper. Jumpers are people gifted with a special J-gene who can take entire spaceships from one place in space to another through Grimspace, something similar to the hyperspace in Star Wars et al., a dimension which allows you to travel light years in no time. When we meet Sirantha, she's in a really bad shape. Locked up in a cell, she's the sole survivor of the Sargasso shipwreck, a spaceship which carried a whole congregate of diplomats and which was piloted by the love of her life, Kai. They're all dead now and apparently, she is responsible for that. If only she could remember. On the verge of having her mind broken by Psychs, Sirantha gets rescued by March, a mercenary working for a clan on planet Lachion, whose agenda is to use Sirantha to recruit and train potential jumpers to overrule the Corp's monopoly on this privileged profession. All kinds of trouble ensues.
I'm going to stop here with the synopsis because it is extremely complicated to condensate in a few sentences and I'm sure your eyes already glazed over.

When you start Grimspace, Aguirre mercilessly dumps you in the middle of a universe (literal and physical) with no background information whatsoever, nonchalantly assuming you were there before she started narrating and you knew everything about the conformation of the universe, about the planets or the infamous Axis Wars, etc.
There's quite a lot of infodump to digest at the beginning, the world building is complex and dense but believe me, by the end of this first book, you will have all your facts straight and you'll be sucked so deep in the Sirantha-verse, it'll be impossible to stop reading.

Science fiction isn't my genre really, of course I watched Star Wars and Dune and a few others but, as you can deduce from my "and a few others" remark, I'm far from being an expert. If you're like me, you will love Sirantha, I think.
She is such a witty, strong yet flawed heroine. She's both smart and a bad-ass and very unapologetically unafraid to show us her worse side of selfish, uncaring bitch. I'm starting book 3 as I am writing this and I can tell you there's a lot of character development to come and Aguirre masterfully manages to make the reader very attached to all the characters she introduces. They are all so cool, unique and alive, there isn't really one that left me indifferent.

Another good reason why you should read this series is that - and I have it on good authority - there is no love triangle throughout the whole series. So far, as long as romance is concerned, I've witnessed quite a lot of indecisiveness, angst and miscommunication but no table tennis effect, which is really refreshing. So no eye-rolling impulse... but a lot of head-smacking, yes. And smut too, and in the right amount! (view spoiler)

The story is fast-paced, with a lot of good action, amazing fight scenes and cool gadgets typical of science-fiction, so there is no way you will find this book boring and I assure you it gets even more interesting in the sequels.
So far, there are 5 books out and the final one is coming out in September, which is another reason to pick up this series, if you needed more.

For this review and more, follow The Nocturnal Library.
24 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grimspace.

11/30/2011 "Calm down!!!" 4 comments
12/01/2011
24.0% "The floor can open up to admit me now, thanks. LOL, I love Sirantha."
show 1 hidden update…

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) You're reading THIS? Is it my birthday? This is better than those diamonds, you can totally have them back. March, yum!

Limonessa See my update?
It was for YOU.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I didn't see it! ROFL!

Lyndsey Yaaaay! So glad you liked Sirantha!!

By the way... (view spoiler)

Chachic I'm not a sci-fi fan either but picked this up based on recommendations by other bloggers. I enjoyed reading it but liked where it ended so I haven't read the rest of the books in the series. Excellent review, as always, Lisa!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) HEY! You leave my cat alone!

Limonessa Lyndsey... there was? (view spoiler)

Limonessa Chachic, you should definitely carry on with the other books, they're just as good so far.

Maja, I was thinking, to enhance the resemblance, you might need to shave her head hair. :P

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) HIS hair. Jax is a boy, you know. And I think he's a little sensitive about his hair, he keeps it very long and fluffy and he's strutting around all the time.

Limonessa Men are always like that :D

message 11: by ♥Rachel♥ (new) - added it

♥Rachel♥ Lisa, never heard of this series but I'm going to add it based on your review. Awesome! Thanks for not going into the complicated park of the synopsis. Sometimes I feel I'm reading a novella with some of these reviews! Haha.

Maja, I have to disagree with Lisa. I think Jax is a great name for a cat! Especially if he struts around all the time. LOL! Lisa is right though about men always being like that. The strutting around bit! :)

Limonessa Rachel, how about men and their hair?! :D

Sam I'm loving this series and it ends in September! So no long wait either...

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooh this sounds really good :)

message 14: by ♥Rachel♥ (new) - added it

♥Rachel♥ Yes Lisa, about the hair. They are sensitive about that! Lol! Preening peacocks. :)

message 15: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay Fantastic review! I'm a sci-fi newbie myself, and this seems like a good transition novel.

Dryadka Actually, there is a kiiind of a love triangle later in the series, but not what you would expect - even though I intensely dislike that kind of thing, this one is maybe the first one that hasn't bothered me - instead I rather loved it.