Eden Baylee's Reviews > A Thirty-Something Girl

A Thirty-Something Girl by Lisa M. Gott

Jan 17, 12

Read in December, 2011

I’m not the world’s fastest reader, but I cannot remember the last time I breezed through a book as quickly as I did A Thirty-Something Girl. From the first sentence to the last, I inhaled L.M.’s words as if they were air.

Does this mean there wasn’t a lot of substance? Absolutely not. Written in first person point of view, Hope Ellena Jackson, a thirty-something girl lives through more twists and turns in a year than many of us encounter in a lifetime. At almost any point in the book, I was riding a wave of frayed emotions – either my stomach was in knots or my inner cheerleader was doing high-kicks.

You see, I really liked Hope. I liked her relationship with her girlfriends, her romantic interest, and her broken past. In her, any woman can find something to relate to. Hope is that part of us who must come to terms with life’s misfortunes. Some of them are of our own making; others are by circumstance. Either way, Hope has to deal with the consequences. In the process, she cements her friendships, opens her heart, and finds love.

L.M.’s book is a testament to the type of stories she wants to write. In A Thirty-Something Girl, she spins a generous tale about the resilience of the human spirit. Hope is her vehicle to illustrate that we all have the ability to rise above life’s hardships. As with her main character’s journey, it’s never a straight line to a happy ending, but while moving toward it, we learn what we are truly capable of.

My strong suspicion is that L.M. wrote A Thirty-Something Girl from a very personal place—perhaps her own life experiences from this past year. Hope is a thinly veiled metaphor, and there is clever wordplay strewn throughout the book using her name.

L.M. has written a book for all ages. It’s not just for thirty-something girls; it’s for twenty-somethings who can learn valuable life lessons, and those older who can take comfort in the wisdom of their decisions.

It’s for all of us who implicitly know that life is what we make of it, but sometimes a thirty-something girl like Hope comes along and reminds us.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thirty-Something Girl.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Lisa Gott What a lovely review!! I am thrilled that you enjoyed the book. Thank you so much!