Sara's Reviews > The Dark and Hollow Places

The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan

Dec 09, 11

bookshelves: ya-lit, series
Read in January, 2011

Annah and Catcher vs. Elias and Gabry. I didn’t realize how shiny Elias and Gabry’s relationship was so clean. How fresh they seemed in the world full of broken people. I also didn’t realize how unique and idyllic life in Vista had been for Gabry and Catcher growing up. Just makes me think back to the night Gabry and Catcher jumped the fence. At the time you knew it wasn’t smart…but the further away from that night we get…the more of this world we see…the more your heart aches, as a reader, for what those teens left behind that night. For what they unleashed in their community; a place that was peaceful before they opened Pandora’s box.

I was happy that in this installment Elias and Gabry’s relationship was strong. Obviously they’re being trailed by their past relationships. And those past relationships are very broken people. Annah has spent her life wounded and left behind…as evidenced physically by her scars. Catcher is living in the inbetween; not yet unconsecrated and yet too scared of his infection to fully live. Ryan toes the line with this set of four. Elias and Gabry could have induced bitterness in both the reader and in Annah and Catcher with their display of happiness. In The Dark and Hollow Places we’ve very much left behind Gabry and Elias’s issues…so they seem pretty perfect in comparison to Catcher and Annah. But, luckily, Catcher and Annah are aware they’re broken. They know they need to fix something in themselves…and they know that they share a bond. Catcher and Annah can help each other grow and fully live life. *Sigh* I loved watching them fall in love.

This book has yet another zombie surge. Another city falls. Instead of feeling redundant I felt as though it seemed appropriate for the trajectory of society. That’s honestly my favorite thing about these novels. Ryan set her world on a path of apocalyptic nature and she never deviated. Instead she gave her characters strength and hope for the future…against catastrophic odds.

I thought I would be content to see the end of this series happen with Catcher and Annah…I’m not! lol. I’d love to see them survive on the ship…find other pockets of people in this world…watch the world finally end or sprout seeds for a new, stronger generation of humans.

I loved that these were zombie books without being zombie books. And the way you fleshed out the post-apocalyptic world was beautiful. It was scary, and logical, and wonderfully effective. It’s a world I don’t want to see end…

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark and Hollow Places.