Will's Reviews > Stay Tuned

Stay Tuned by Lauren Clark

Nov 28, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, relationships
Read from November 24 to 28, 2011

First off, I want to thank Goodreads and Lauren Clark for this first-read edition of Stay Tuned. I am a news producer in Denver and wanted to get an advanced copy of this book. I am always curious about fiction books based on this high pressure high intensity industry which at times I loathe and at times I love. Typically you don't need fiction, just a big notebook to record the daily events inside the newsroom.

This book dealt with a lot of those issues, frustrations, and stress. In some ways hit close to home, in some ways it was far too over the top where it didn't need to be. I was highly critical of this book, because I did not feel in a lot of chapters that it reflected accurately the life of a producer or producer/anchor. There are times in my day when I don't even have time to go to the bathroom, it's a common complaint among producers whether you are in Bozeman, MT or New York City. The fact this book talked about the main character's ability to have a picnic style dinner with her anchor out of the newsroom or date nights with her husband while also producing two shoes was for me beyond irritating. However, I am too close to the subject and probably removed from my current situation would not have had a second thought about it.

There were also a few glaring errors that made me question the author's research or real life experience on the subject. Her incorrect spelling of Nielsen was the big one. There were two other spelling errors also missed, and a critical mixup with character names in a subplot near the end of the book that had me going over it several times asking, "did I read that right?"

Unlike other books about this industry, it does focus on the relationships outside of the newsroom. It does that in a way few others have, and in my opinion does a better job at showing the strain this business can cause. It also shows how work is often made to be the primary relationship instead of marriages and parenting that goes on outside of it. I will give Lauren a lot of credit for hitting the bullseye on this topic.

Overall the book was a quick read, rather predictable, even with the twist at the end. It's a decent read for anyone not in the news business, however I would think they would be the first to pick up or check out this book. Many of their reviews will be much more harsh than mine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stay Tuned.

11/24/2011 page 1
0.0% "Thank you for the first read and rapid delivery of this book. As a news producer I'm eager to see how close to home this book hits. I'll get started on it as soon as I'm done with my Thanksgiving Day newscast."

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura McNeill  (Lauren Clark) Yay for speedy delivery -- would love to hear what you think, Will! Lauren