Susan's Reviews > The Chill Winds of Ravenhall

The Chill Winds of Ravenhall by Mary Bishop

Nov 16, 11

bookshelves: gothic, 2011

This story is really more of a golden age English house murder than gothic. We have a cast of characters with a murder off-stage, the various reasons why this person was bumped off, another guest gone missing, the requisite inspector, threats against the heroine and finally the exciting climax of the story. To be fair, though, there is a scene in the book which is illustrated on the cover - woman in nightie outside in dead of night! Classic gothic.

I loved this story! I appreciate the author's subtle sense of humor, the personalities of each character, the sense of place, the interaction between the characters and thought process of the heroine. She even didn't do anything TSTL as bonus.

I have only one more book by this author and know of another that I don't have. If anyone has any information about her, please let me know. I'd love to get the whole backlist. Fantasticfiction doesn't even list her so any hints would be great! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chill Winds of Ravenhall.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (last edited Nov 18, 2011 04:59AM) (new)

Hannah Wow - it's extremely rare for the "heroine in her nightie" cover image to actually be in the book - lol!

I've heard that Bishop is good (and I had put on of her books on my TBR pile: Widow's Walk), but can't add to any knowledge of her.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Great comment! :)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen Some quick googling found me a list of her books :) http://www.fictiondb.com/author/mary-...

Susan Wow - thanks! I couldn't find much by her. Will have to hunt these titles out now :)