Kirsten's Reviews > Messenger: The Legacy of Mattie J.T. Stepanek and Heartsongs

Messenger by Jeni Stepanek

Nov 14, 11

bookshelves: have, paperback
Read in November, 2011

I first heard about Mattie on Oprah. I didn't pay too much attention (mostly because I am never home in time to watch). I heard bits and pieces and was always impressed with how Mattie spoke ... with conviction ... self awareness and assurdness. After he passed away, I saw Jeni on Oprah by chance and there were other viewings of Mattie. I bought this book for my uncle for his birthday, all the time keeping in the back of my mind that I needed to read it. I thought that this would be one of my "long term books" ... one of the ones that would take me a while to read ... and probably not even finish.

I was wrong. The book finally came up as available on PBS. When I got it, it sat for about a week and because I didn't have anything else interesting to read (Gone with the Wind is a long term book that I didn't feel like reading), I decided to start this book. Again, I was so wrong about this book. I finished it in a few days. I can't even really put into words the type of person Mattie was. Seriously ... I kept thinking that there was no way any person could think and speak like he did ... have that much impact on EVERYONE the way he did. But, knowing what I know from watching him on Oprah and other bits and pieces, I can honestly say that Mattie was indeed a Messenger. This is a book that I am going to be recommending to everyone that I know. That I am going to have my 13 year old son read. That I am going to re-read and try to pay more attention ... so that I can give a review that gives the book justice.

I always believe that children that have life ending diseases are special. They just seem to be different then the rest of us. My sister was that way. She said, prior to her bone marrow transplant, that "If I have to die so another child can live, then that is fine." What 11 year old child says that? These children are a gift from God.

Thanks, Mattie and Jeni for your Heartsongs. Their impact is being felt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Messenger.

11/10/2011 page 20