Janet Richards's Reviews > The House of Silk: A Sherlock Holmes Novel

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

3120756
Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: audible, kindle, thriller, books-i-will-read-again
Read from November 14 to 27, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I've selected the first book I will read on my Kindle Fire!!!! A new Sherlock Holmes novel, perfect. Now just to get my hands on my Fire :)

I found this a very good tribute to the Sherlock Holmes legacy. The subject matter was dark, very dark. But isn't all Sherlock stories?? I'm not a serious Sherlock follower - I haven't read his stories in years, probably decades. But I recall enough that this book brought to mind. And it intrigued me enough to want to go back and reread the original stories.

Some of the language (ie. the use of the word Negroes), the description of the poor & women is jarring but understandable given it is copying the writing style of the author. That said the story line is all to painfully modern - just pick up the newspaper or read the internet for examples of the sick characters we see in this book. I don't want to give too much away - but there are two stories that are prominent right now that are very much in-line with the subject matter. I feel just as sick about that subject when it occurs today as when it occurred a century and continent ago.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Silk.

11/27/2011
75.0% "I've listened to this off and on all day. It's so exciting to have a NEW Sherlock Holmes mystery, now I have to go back and reread the originals."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

RuthG I'm currently reading this book and find it very interesting. Horowitz seems like a good choice to carry on the Holmes tradition.

Janet Richards Good to hear - I wasn't able to start it yesterday but hopefully today!

Janet Richards RuthG wrote: "I'm currently reading this book and find it very interesting. Horowitz seems like a good choice to carry on the Holmes tradition."

Agreed - I thought he did an awesome job. Hopefully he will do more in the future! BTW - do you watch the show Sherlock on the BBC - I think it's an equally good modernization of this great series. I'd like it if someone took that approach as well in books, I'd buy them if they were written as well as this book!