Rachael's Reviews > Hamlet's BlackBerry: A Practical Philosophy for Building a Good Life in the Digital Age

Hamlet's BlackBerry by William Powers

Nov 14, 11

Read in October, 2011

I've come to this book via a circuitious route. Ducking out for coffee one afternoon I heard the author, William Powers, interviewed on local radio. Powers was appearing that very evening at the National Library of Australia to discuss his book. Fortunately, there were seats left.

I found the premise of Hamlet's Blackberry fascinating. Powers is not suggesting we do away with technology, indeed he extols the virtue of a connected life. However, he also acknowledges the "conundrum of connectedness". How much is too much? Where and how do we find the balance?

It's a philosophical book more than anything else and Powers turns to several great thinkers to shed light on dealing with change and technology.

As I said, I was fascinated with the premise. The execution leaves a little to be desired. I felt that some of the points were repetitive, and some points took a long time to be made.

Overall, however, this is a book well worth reading and this is a discussion most relevant and timely!

My edition of this book is a paperback, published by Scribe Publications (Melbourne). ISBN: 9781921640780

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hamlet's BlackBerry.