Thomas's Reviews > Spellspam

Spellspam by Alma Alexander

Jun 13, 08

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Recommended for: Young adult and up
Read in June, 2008

This is a continuation of a story that starts with Alma's first Worldweavers book as 15-year-old Thea continues to discover the unique nature of the magic within her soul. Unlike the first book, which seemed to have a trite threat in the Nothing (something that reminded me far too much of the film, The NeverEnding Story), this story has a larger threat, not so much to humanity, but to Thea herself. While the first book drew me in, I remained an observer of this story, no longer touched by the mystical First World in this fantasy setting. Thea faces a more real threat - computer spam, spam that carries with it nefarious magic that starts from the beginning pages of the story and doesn't stop until Thea faces down her darkest fears and forever retains part of that darkness inside her.

If you have not read the first book in the series, I strongly recommend it for all its wonderful magic: Gift of the Unmage (Worldweavers: Book 1) and because this book does not stand well by itself.

A word on the rating - while I gave the first book 4 stars (out of 5), I would love to kick this up a notch for this one (4.5 stars out of 5), but there was at least one noticeable typo stumbling point. Still an excellent read.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spellspam.