Galla's Reviews > The Spymaster's Lady

Nov 15, 11

bookshelves: historical-romance, romantic-suspense
Read in November, 2011

4.5

If you like historical romance at all, give this one a try. This book has everything other books in the genre want to have: an engaging plot with some surprises along the way, appealing characters, deftly-written dialogue, and delightful chemistry between the romantic leads. Plus, it's a spy novel, and not one of those that makes you wish you had just decided to park yourself on the couch and watch The Bourne Identity again.

This isn't to say that there weren't a few hiccups along the way. At one point in the middle, the heroine suddenly seems to lose a bunch of her physical and intellectual mojo, but I'll just write that off to the fact that she had a concussion. I also felt the hero's strength as a character had a tendency to eclipse the heroine's in the second half of the novel, which was unfortunate, since Annique is really a great character. As I mentioned in a status update, Joanna Bourne actually managed to write her as badass and charming at the same time, and that's tough to do.

Some of the plot points strained credibility as well, but that happens in spy novels, and here, it's easy to forgive simply because this book is a very, very fun read. Highly recommended for anyone who likes the genre but needs a break from corsets, the ton, and manufactured angst. This is chick lit, but it's chick lit with a big side of awesome.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spymaster's Lady.

11/15/2011 page 204
51.0% "I've been really loving this book, but at the moment, the heroine--who has been both badass and charming up to this point, and that's a tough combination to strike--seems to be suffering from a bout of temporary stupidity. I HOPE it's temporary, in any case." 7 comments