C.E. Hart's Reviews > Fiction Ruined My Family

Dec 07, 11

bookshelves: memoir, humor
Read from November 13 to December 07, 2011

Fiction Ruined My Family, by Jeanne Darst

First of all, I love reading memoirs. Peeking into someone’s life--into their painful past, guarded secrets, and sorrowful mistakes usually leads to a good read.

With that said, I’m not really sure how I feel about Fiction Ruined My Family. With more than a peek into Jeanne’s past, her not-so-secret family lifestyle, and a long trail of dysfunction (I’m surprised fit into a single book) I still close the book wanting. Wanting what? I’m not sure. I’m a little befuddled on that.

I suppose I’m left wanting a plot of some sort. Some underlying theme – other than humans following the paved road of our parents—even when it’s covered in potholes and mud puddles.

Pros: This writer is talented. There are several places in this book that made me laugh out loud. Others that made me cringe.

Cons: I struggled to finish this book. I put it down several times and forced myself to pick it back up. I wanted to finish it. I wanted to be glad I did. I simply wasn’t satisfied in the end.

Overall: There are funny parts, crude parts, and deeply revealing parts. These parts just didn’t make a whole for me.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Goodreads. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fiction Ruined My Family.

11/15/2011 page 79