Ro's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Nov 19, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult, fiction, favorites, dystopian
Read from November 13 to 18, 2011 — I own a copy

I've decided to review this series as 1 story rather than 3 separate books, so this same review will be posted for all 3 books.

Now, with that said, where to begin??

I guess I'll start by saying that this is one of the most moving stories I've ever read. I really "felt" when I was reading these books. It's powerful, dark, deep, and very haunting. I was thinking about it constantly when I wasn't reading. I would wake up at night thinking about it, and sometimes I actually sat up in bed to read in the wee hours of the morning after I had been awake thinking about it. The books are full of very strong characters. Their emotions and the relationships between them are real and honest. There are characters in books that, although they are enjoyable to read about, they remain just characters. The characters in this book transcend the words on the page and become breathing, thinking, feeling, living people. The imagery is vivid. The writing is skilled and honed and almost prose-like at times. The author found a way to make some very strong statements without sounding preachy, which is an accomplishment. Many times when an author tries to make a political or philosophical statement, they don't integrate it well. They try to make it seem like it's coming from the viewpoint of the character(s), but it's usually very clear that it's a message that the author wanted to insert.

I cannot dole out enough praise for this trilogy. My negative criticisms are very few. There are a few parts of Catching Fire and Mockingjay that are a little slow and/or have slightly too much detail. But other than that, these books are PERFECTION in my opinion. And the ending....wow... The author could not have written a more perfect ending. After I read the epilogue of Mockingjay, I couldn't just jump up and move along with the rest of my day. I had to sit quietly for a while with my eyes closed and just ride out the multi-layered emotional affect.

My boxed set of the Hunger Games trilogy is in a highly honored position in my bookshelf that holds my favorite books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

11/17/2011 page 330